Default Did I Make a Mistake and Where Would I Start

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: California/Colorado???

My boyfriend and I have a 3 month old child together and he abuses alcohol. 8 DUI's and gets very abusive physically, emotionally as well as verbally.

He is not on her birth certificate nor has he done a paternity declaration in the state of california. Therefore I was told he did not have any rights.

This last month the abuse has been getting worse. Verbally, physically, throwing property with the child in the room. The last incident he drank 2.5 pints of whiskey and started to get abusive again throwing a chair into the wall above where the baby was. Police were called but no one was arrested, he decided to stay in the house but the police wouldnt leave until one of us left so he forced my daughter and I out into an womens abuse shelter. Told me it was over, he wanted me gone. So he could go back to his single life.

I had no support in California so I came to colorado where We would have a safe place to be.

Turns out he also has a warrant here in Colorado for skipping probation on a DUI a year ago when we both lived here. As well as numerouse other ones in other states, and an intoxilock in his car(dmv ordered that is)

Did I screw up??? What do I need to do to make this right? California as well as colorado attorny? Where do I start here in Colorado since I still have my Colorado drivers license?? She's a sweet little girl and doesnt deserve to live that way! If she had been hit I dont know what I would do.

Default Re: Did I Make a Mistake and Where Would I Start

Quote Quoting redhotbluff
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: California/Colorado???

My boyfriend and I have a 3 month old child together and he abuses alcohol. 8 DUI's and gets very abusive physically, emotionally as well as verbally.

He is not on her birth certificate nor has he done a paternity declaration in the state of california. Therefore I was told he did not have any rights.

This last month the abuse has been getting worse. Verbally, physically, throwing property with the child in the room. The last incident he drank 2.5 pints of whiskey and started to get abusive again throwing a chair into the wall above where the baby was. Police were called but no one was arrested, he decided to stay in the house but the police wouldnt leave until one of us left so he forced my daughter and I out into an womens abuse shelter. Told me it was over, he wanted me gone. So he could go back to his single life.

I had no support in California so I came to colorado where We would have a safe place to be.

Turns out he also has a warrant here in Colorado for skipping probation on a DUI a year ago when we both lived here. As well as numerouse other ones in other states, and an intoxilock in his car(dmv ordered that is)

Did I screw up??? What do I need to do to make this right? California as well as colorado attorny? Where do I start here in Colorado since I still have my Colorado drivers license?? She's a sweet little girl and doesnt deserve to live that way! If she had been hit I dont know what I would do.
    You did not screw up. You can do bad all by yourself, you do not need him. Stay where you are at!!! Start in Colorado where you are residing and file for child support, they will order a paternity test. He will receive a notice in California making him aware that he is being sued for child support. He will be served a summons to have his DNA collected and so will you and the baby. Once that is completed they will have a hearing in California to decide the amount of child support to award you. You will not have to go there. You can also have them to keep your address private for fear of retaliation and more abuse. Good Luck to you.

panther10758 Guest

Agreed but the problem will be he can legally seek vistitation once he is established as Father. If that is case I would advise Mom to seek "supervised visits only" to protect the child. I woud further ask that he not have drank any alcohol within last 24 hrs prior to any visit

I doubt she is going to get any money from him. She may be better off to just forget about it. If she files for any state support they can go after him.

1. Sponsored Links