Angry Roommate Not on Lease, Never Paid Rent

She is not actually a room mate but a friend of a friend that needed a place to stay for a few weeks. She is not on the lease, she has no receipts for anything proving that she has paid any rent. She has been here about 6 weeks and I told her that is she wants to stay longer that she needs to pay some rent. She refuses to pay rent but also refuses to leave. Is there anything I can do to rid of her? Also, she is at the point where she is intentionally trying to irritate me. (i.e. Playing her music way too loud til all hours). My concern is that I am a male and she is a female. No, we have never been involved.. I feel like I have to protect myself and watch what I say to her because I fear she might try to pull something that can get me in trouble. This bites and I need her gone. Please help. Southern California Resident

Default Re: Roommate Not on Lease, Never Paid Rent

Call the non-emergency police number for your area, tell them she is trespassing and you want her out of your residence. They will come, tell them you want them to stay while she packs her stuff and leaves to make sure she doesn't steal anything or try anything funny. Make sure you get her copies of your keys, or change your locks.

This is a little overkill but if you really want to protect yourself from her making false accusations, set up some hidden cameras or mics in the common areas and your room, make sure they have a date / time stamp. Don't put them in the bathroom or her personal space, but maybe pointing down the hallway where you can see entry/exit to her door. That way if she tries to say anything about how you tried anything on a certain date, you have proof that she is full of it.

So I am learning that since she has had DSL put in the house and she gets that bill here she has officially established residency. In order to rid of her I will have to evict. Is this true?

Since she has established residency you will have to give her a 3 day eviction notice demanding that she vacates. If she doesn't you will have to go to city hall and have them get you all the official documents to evict her. Then if she still doesn't leave call the cops.

I'm just afraid that things are going to go sideways before I get through this. It's amazing that these people exist and are protected by the system.

TGK has this all wrong. Police have no authority to evict a tenant once he establishes tenancy. You can try to call them once, and say this is an unwelcome guest who is trespassing. They may be willing to help you but most likely will call this a civil matter. If that's the case, then you will have to go through a court to evict her. You'll have to follow your state's Landlord tenant law. Google for that. Most likely it involves a 30 days notice to terminate tenancy, and then filing for eviction.

Hum. I just found out that she has a warrant for obstruction/resist. I wonder how this can help me rid of this guest... Its amazing what the internet will provide you.

From your original post, you indicate you are renting. Here's what I would probably do in your position: See if you can get your landlord's permission to change the locks and, if so, see if you can get the police to pick her up on the warrant and change the locks after she's arrested. There's a risk that she would later try to claim that this was an unlawful eviction, but there's a reasonable counter that she was a house guest and was no longer welcome after the arrest.

If you wish to go through formal eviction, which gives you the most legal protection, there are guides here and here.

What kind of slap on the wrist can I receive from doing this. Trust me.. I LIKE IT!!

1. Sponsored Links