Default Unsafe Lane Change, Unsafe Turn. Multiple Charges One Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I just received a ticket in a city in La county for an unsafe turn 22107 and unsafe lane change 21658 (a) on the same ticket. I'll describe the whole thing below, but my questions are:
    1. I think this is two infractions for one offence: is there a law against this. It's highly unfair to get two points (or one and one traffic school) for one minor offence.
    2. The cop didn't ask me anything, just for my license ad papers and came back with the ticket already filled. No talking, nothing. Shouldn't he be asking me questions to ascertain details, give me a chance to discuss?
    3. young cop: he was unclear in talking after he returned and I asked what the infractions were for as to where he was ticketing me for, and said he'd have done me for speed but he couldn't ascertain how fast I was going. "you could have hit somebody" though there was no traffic nearby. Shouldn't he be clearer?
    4. He's already filled out the ticket before I coudl ask him to have the trial at the county seat. Can I change this?

Late night, off freeway ramp which merges to road, and after 200 yards or so hits a crossroads (w traffic lights), where I turn right on green light. Going neatly fast but not excessive speed, and traffic light. Low gears, sound fast.
    I turn into middle lane when turning right, as it saves tires and is easier. This is legal I believe. It is possible I started slightly in the middle lane, but I don't think so as the inside lane is the lane you end up in from the freeway and I have no recollection doing so. I n any case the cop couldn't have seen.
    Nobody, and not cop, is behind me AFAICS, so I didn't affect anyone. Cop is at junction to the left (As he marked on the ticket)

He catches up with me a couple of blocks later as I'd turned right into a parking lot, having overtaken a slow pickup from the middle lane and gone back right.

My biggest concern is that he's going for ticket performance by citing me for multiple things for one potential infraction. And I think it was safe anyway, and think I can show it from the statutes. he didn't cite me for 22100.

5. Can I get records of his ticketing practices for the past month or two to see if he's aiming for high quota, or overticketing by habit? Seemed quite rookie and enthusiastically ticketing people that night.

Default Re: Unsafe Lane Change, Unsafe Turn. Multiple Charges One Ticket

When you commit more than one offense, you can be cited for more than one offense. The officer doesn't have to question you about the offense(s) observed. You clearly know what the charges are, so I'm not sure what you wanted the officer to tell you. You could have requested to have your hearing somewhere other than the county seat when he was ticketing you.

I don't think you'll get anywhere trying to get copious records of his ticketing practices so you can try to spot patterns, nor am I sure how that's helpful as what will interest the court is whether or not you committed the offenses for which you were ticketed, but if you want to try, you can try.

1. Sponsored Links