Default Can My Son Live with Me Again

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Michigan.
    My son is 13 and a half years old and wishes to live with me again. I was tricked into signing off my parental rights 9 years ago. His custodial grandparents have both died and he now lives with his aunt who wants him to move out. I will move back to Michigan to be with him.

Default Re: Can My Son Live with Me Again

This has nothing to do with emancipation. Emancipation means that HE is responsible for supporting himself without adult help or state aid, and no state will emancipate a 13 year old.

Who has legal custody of him?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    This has nothing to do with emancipation. Emancipation means that HE is responsible for supporting himself without adult help or state aid, and no state will emancipate a 13 year old.

Who has legal custody of him?
    His aunt does. She is the conservator to the estate left to him by his grandmother which is quite huge. He will be 14 in September and his aunt, my ex sister-in-law, contacted me yesterday to see if I would come back to Michigan to raise him. He has been disruptive to her family life and she never wanted custody in the first place. Can he petition the courts to let him live with me? I can provide for myself so his estate is not a factor in this. I have wanted my son back for 10 years. It is one long sad story.

Presumably she's also his court-appointed guardian. Or is his dad (or an adoptive parent/step-parent) still somewhere in the picture, with custodial rights?

Assuming there's a guardianship, you would need to be appointed guardian by the court with jurisdiction over the current guardianship order, or successfully adopt him.

His father had to sign away parental rights as well, but, for totally different reasons. My son has nothing whatsoever to do with him. My deceased ex mother-in-law started all this horrible stuff to stop me and my son from leaving the state of Michigan in 1998. She, and her husband especially, did not want to raise another child but she was the most wicked person you could ever meet. My son is still confused about the terrible things she told him about me and he does not, or rather cannot, have a relationship with people. He was given a new toy or video game EVERY DAY when he lived with his grandparents and was taught that inanimate objects are better than love and affection. He needs serious counseling, but we all agree, that he needs his mother. I will not watch my son be destroyed any longer and if the state of Michigan wants a fight, I will give it. I haven't had a day of peace since this all began. I was hoping that if my sister-in-law can convince him that being with me will be better for him then the options of boarding school or a foster home, then maybe he could petition the state for emancipation but still live with me. I guess I'm in the wrong forum for this problem. Nonetheless, I will save my son regardless.

I'm not saying there's nothing you can do; just that emancipation is not an option (and would not solve your problem in any case).

Thank you for the responses. I'm sure I'll know what to do when the time comes. I've been waiting for this for 10 long, sad years and all I can say is that both of the paternal grandparents are right where they belong....dead.

1. Sponsored Links