Default Can Asylum Status Be Changed if Marry an US Citizen

Hello all,

Here is my concern..

My friend is currently holding an Asylum status (B2) as a result of his dad. His dad is a green card holder; however, his step-mom is an US Citizen.

My friend wishes to obtain a green card that allows his to enter and leave the US for his home country- for visit. To our understanding, person holding asylum status can leave the US but cannot visit or enter his own country. Even if he is holding a green card, enter own country may result his green card being taken away. Is that true?

If so, can my friend change his asylum status if he were to marry an US citizen? My friend who works at the immigration law office says that even if he were to marry an US citizen, his status would still be Asylum, and still cannot enter his own country. Is that true?

The thing I am confused is: If my friend is applying for green card (as a result of marrying an US citizen), wouldn't his I-485 application be different than for Asylum applicants? I know at least the selection (the reason for applying, or applying for I-485 under the conditions) would be different. Shouldn't his green card status be different as well?

Please let me know! Thank you all!!

Default Re: Can Asylum Status Be Changed if Marry an US Citizen

If the conditions in his home country are no longer so dangerous, that he feels he can return home, why would any nation want to continue to offer him asylum based upon his prior claim that his home nation was too dangerous? If he marries, he should be able to visit his nation of origin after the conditions are removed from his Green Card. Unless and until that happens, he should discuss his travel plans "back home" with his immigration lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links