Default Contempt of Court Charge Related to a Marijuana Possession Charge

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virgina (Pulaski County)

I suppose I'll begin at the beginning. About three and a half years ago, I was pulled over, had my car searched, and was charged with possesion of marijuana. I went to court and recieved my first offender sentence of 6 month restricted license, VASAP classes, one year probation, and (here's the snag) community service.

Now, I'm not trying to give a sob story or sing a country music song here, but I was in a very unhappy place at the time (long-term girlfriend had left, lost my job, etc). Regardless, I somehow managed to not do my community service. I suppose that I forgot, or blanked it out. I'm really not sure. I was never given any notification of this fact. I did my VASAP, got my licence back. Everything seemed fine, until last night.

I was pulled over (first time in three and a half years), and arrested. I was informed that there was a warrant on me for contempt of court for not having performed the community service. The arresting officers were agressive at first, but were then very polite and professional after they realized I was being honest with them. I was released on bond and before he left, one of the officers advised me to complete the community service before my court date.

I suppose I'm posting this in order to garner any possible information that can help me. For instance, I have no intention of lying to the judge, but I also feel like I'm going in unarmed. I don't expect that the judge will be very interested in my story, or swayed by my personal situation at the time. I'm just not sure how to approach this.

I also can't seem to find any information on the court's webpage regarding with whom I can serve my community.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I made a stupid mistake a long time ago, and I just want to put it to rest.

Thanks

Default Re: Contempt of Court Charge Related to a Marijuana Possesion Charge

It's tough to find out what will be acceptable for community service without going through the probation department, and they're probably not going to do much more than tell you that they'll see you after your court date. How much community service are we talking about here, and when are you scheduled to go t court?

Default Re: Contempt of Court Charge Related to a Marijuana Possesion Charge

I believe that I only have to serve 24hrs. My court date is at the end of the month.

I would not have even thought about serving it before my court date, but the officer (not from the same county my offence is in) said that they would "hammer" me if I hadn't.

1. Sponsored Links