Default Uninsured Auto Accident

I was involved in car accident a couple of weeks ago in my mother's car in Minnesota. The other driver lost control of their car while it was snowing, her car started spinning and hit the car I was driving. The car that I was driving is uninsured. The driver of the other car somehow got my mother's number and called her stating that she does not have insurance and is afraid my mother will take her to court then disconnected the call ( I am not even sure how they got her number since there was not a crash report yet). Someone else called a couple of days later claiming to be her father and gave the same story.
    The car is totalled and I am at a lost on what to do. The crash report does not list any insurance information and the car is registered under someone else name (not the one driving).
    My mother's car is older and worth about 4,000.
    Any advice, suggestions, comments will help
    Thank you

Default Re: Auto Accident in MN

So BOTH cars were uninsured?

Normally, I would say you need to get a copy of the police report and go to court.

That may not be your smartest idea, however.

Default Re: Auto Accident in MN

If neither car was insured & the accident was the other party's fault, your only option may be to sue her in small claims court.

You said the car you were driving (your mothers) was uninsured, do you have any car insurance?

You also said the car the lady (who has no ins.) was driving was not registered under her name - does the registered owner have car insurance?

Default Car Accident with No Insurance on Both Cars

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Minnesota
    Hi
    I was involved in car accident about 3 weeks ago. The other driver lost control of her car and hit the front passenger side of the car I was driving. The crash reports stated that the other party does not have insurance and it was her fault. I was driving my mother's car which did not have insurance either.
    The other driver called my mother's house before we obtained the crash report and told her that she is afraid that my mother will take her to court since she doesn't have insurance.
    I am not sure what to do. Should I get a lawyer?

Default Re: Car Accident with No Insurance on Both Cars

Sorry I wasn't sure where my post went(newbie here).
    My insurance on my car lapsed so I did not have coverage on the day the accident happened. The registered owner of the other car says that he does not have insurance...
    Thanks

well, you determine the loss of value and send the driver and the owner of the other car a bill. If they do not pay it, you get to sue them. If it is over what small claims has jurisdiction (don't know the limits for your state), you can either settle for what small claims does have jurisdiction over and continue the suit in small claims court or go to the court that does have jurisdiction. If you are not capable of doing this yourself, you will need to hire an attorney.

If you win, you try to collect.

wow, just looked it up. Conciliation Court is what it is called in Mn. and the limit is $7500 so it appears it would be fine in conciliation court.

http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=313

Thank you for all the advice, comments and suggestions

1. Sponsored Links