Default Wrongful Termination

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Georgia

Today, my 57 year old farther was fired without notice. They immediately terminated his employment, canceled his insurance, took his company car and insurance, and drove him home.

There is a bit of history here though. About 8 months ago, my father was admitted to the hospital with liver failure. He was an active alcoholic. He nearly died and has been told he must have a liver transplant or he will die. He also contacted Hep-C. He was in the hospital for about 3 weeks. He returned to work as soon as he got out. At this time, he stopped drinking so that he could get a transplant.

He worked for about a week and was demoted. He was a sales manager and was demoted and told to start selling. This was setting him up for failure as someone with liver failure has ammonia buildup and has issues concentrating and communicating.

He has been trying but his disease and issues are causing him to fail. He worked and thrived with this company for 20+ years and after getting sick, they let him go within a year.

Is there any recourse. Also, does anyone have any other advice. We are taking him to unemployment and I think we will try to look into disability.

Default Re: Wrongful Termination

Quote Quoting BartD
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Georgia

Today, my 57 year old farther was fired without notice. They immediately terminated his employment, canceled his insurance, took his company car and insurance, and drove him home.

There is a bit of history here though. About 8 months ago, my father was admitted to the hospital with liver failure. He was an active alcoholic. He nearly died and has been told he must have a liver transplant or he will die. He also contacted Hep-C. He was in the hospital for about 3 weeks. He returned to work as soon as he got out. At this time, he stopped drinking so that he could get a transplant.

He worked for about a week and was demoted. He was a sales manager and was demoted and told to start selling. This was setting him up for failure as someone with liver failure has ammonia buildup and has issues concentrating and communicating.

He has been trying but his disease and issues are causing him to fail. He worked and thrived with this company for 20+ years and after getting sick, they let him go within a year.

Is there any recourse. Also, does anyone have any other advice. We are taking him to unemployment and I think we will try to look into disability.
    I am sorry about your fathers situation, both health and employment.

In this economy it is possible that the company is down sizing or business can be off so the let him go. It is hard to prove otherwise.

You are doing the right thing. Take him to unemployment and try to get him on disability.

From what you posted on here I do not see where you have proof that he was let go do to his health conditions. Many companies are very careful on how they terminate employees as to not have problems like this. He may have been let go for the reasons you stated, but to prove that is very hard to do.

Again, you are on the right path. With his current health conditon, it sure sounds like it would be in his best interest to be on disability.

I hope this all works out for him. Good luck.

1. Sponsored Links