Default College Tuition

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Minnesota
    My son, a couple of years ago, decided he wanted to start taking some college courses online. He went and talked to them at the school and decided on his courses and I believe may have signed some papers. Well, for whatever reasons, the timing was not right, decided to move instead and start school later, when he knew what he really wanted to do. Now I am getting calls from a collection agency about the semester of tuition that is owed. Is it owed if he never went or signed on to the course online? I never saw anything that may have been signed but I do know it was not any financial aid. He was 18 at the time. I asked him about it and he has never received anything from the school so he thought he didn't owe anything when he canceled. Thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

Default Re: College Tuition

It's quite possible that when he "decided" on courses, he actually registered for them. More than likely, if he remained registered for the courses and didn't actually formally DROP those courses, the school put those courses on his account and continued to anticipate his attendance (whether or not he showed up or logged in, the school had to hold that "spot" for him). When the account went unpaid after the start of the term, it sounds like the school turned it over for collections. Even worse, it's possible that he could have now earned a score of "F" in those courses as well, depending on school academic policies.

If he DID actually complete the process of dropping those courses, he'll want to get or hang on to any documentation that would show this.

Default Re: College Tuition

Thanks so much for your response. I will pass this on to him so that he can get this taken care of.

1. Sponsored Links