Default Attending a Dangerous School

My question involves education law in the State of: WV
    We are talking middle school here but I don't believe the way the statutes were written that makes any difference. There are serious issues of sexual harassment both of a physical and verbal nature. Physical threats of harm sometimes in writting and violent kids who are excused from any punishment becuase they have an IEP so they start a fight hurt a kid and get sent back to class. So we are taking several unsafe kids. Prinicipal does what he is allowed to do which is to suspend the kids and then they come back as if nothing happend and do it again to be suspened again and again. School board does nothing they have been complained to several ocassion no kid is ever expelled. I've read through the WV code and I see no referance to what to do with unsafe kids and nothing dealing with a failure on the schools part to provide a safe school. I've only found http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...0&invol=97-843
    I myself have even sent an email to the head of the BOE of WV asking for help. (no aswer yet)
    Now a friend of mine whose child was so badly traumatized his psychitrist put him on home bound which is a tutor meeting with him twice a week to give tests and assignments just received a letter from the school board telling her there will be a hearing because her son has missed 45 days of school. He was in homebound and anything before that were dr excused absences. They are counting MWF of every week he has been in homebound because homebound only meets T and TH this is how the homebound people set this up. The letter informs her there will be fines/and jail time blah blah in accordance with chapter 18-8-2 which simply stated is failure to make your kids go to school statute.
    Now for the questions what can we the parents do to get the school system to make a safe place for these kids? What laws deal with the school's responcibility to provide a safe enviornment and what happens when they fail badly at doing so? what can my friend do to stop them from basically harassing her for not taking her child to school when he has been legally put on the homebound program yet they still count him as absent? what type of lawyer do we contact? We really need to be pointed in the right direction.

Default Re: Attending a Dangerous School

You are telling us that a student is getting homebound services through the school district, and the school district is stating that its own program doesn't satisfy its attendance requirements? That makes no sense.

Does your school district offer schools of choice? If so, I would be rushing to choose a different school.

Default Re: Attending a Dangerous School

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You are telling us that a student is getting homebound services through the school district, and the school district is stating that its own program doesn't satisfy its attendance requirements? That makes no sense. yes, that would be the problem. the child was legally signed out by a physician due to mental severe mental abuse in the school (yes I have seen the paper work I drove the mom to the appointment and read the paper then drove her to the county school board office. So I know she isn't making stuff up. From what I read He should not be listed as absent. Seems like the county is not following the state rule as printed on the BOE state website. If they were the kids causing the problem would be sent to an alternative school until they could be reformed then returned to main stream schools and none of this would be an issue.

Does your school district offer schools of choice? If so, I would be rushing to choose a different school.
    In the county there are 3 elementary schools, 2 middle, and 1 highschool. The nearest middle school from this one is is 1/2 hour away and is even worse they have yet to meet the yearly progress for a good 5 years now. Neither has the high school for that matter. So choice A is the current middle school and choice B is homebound and choice C is homeschool which this mother I'm talking about isn't really able to do (tried last year and couldn't teach the math) If there was another choice of where to send the kids we would have gone that route.

1. Sponsored Links