Default Can CHP Issue Speeding Ticket on I-5 on Chula Vista Ticket Book

I received a speeding ticket on California I-5 freeway in San Diego, CA on October 2 by a California Highway Patrol officer. It occurred around Gilman Avenue which is in San Diego City juristiction. It has not been entered into the system as of yet, per the San Diego Court Clerk and I happened to notice the officer wrote it from a Chula Vista City PD ticket book. Chula Vista in within San Diego County but is this a real ticket??

The ticket shows the 4 or 5 court sites within San Diego county but since the clerk said to give it 6-8 weeks and October 2 to today's date 12/10 is over 8 weeks, is this a legal ticket??

Default Re: Can CHP Issue Speeding Tkt on I-5 on Chula Vista Ticket Book

Quote Quoting sandiegowoman
    View Post
    I received a speeding ticket on California I-5 freeway in San Diego, CA on October 2 by a California Highway Patrol officer. It occurred around Gilman Avenue which is in San Diego City juristiction. It has not been entered into the system as of yet, per the San Diego Court Clerk and I happened to notice the officer wrote it from a Chula Vista City PD ticket book. Chula Vista in within San Diego County but is this a real ticket??

The ticket shows the 4 or 5 court sites within San Diego county but since the clerk said to give it 6-8 weeks and October 2 to today's date 12/10 is over 8 weeks, is this a legal ticket??
    Why wouldn't it be a legal ticket?? If it was issued by a Chula Vista PD officer, it's good. Are you sure it was issued by a CHP officer that issued it? It is possible that they were working a combined enforcement detail. But, the law says that the form used must conform to the law, not that it must be written by an officer of the agency on the letterhead ... though it would be an interesting argument.

Note that officers in CA have jurisdiction for offenses observed state wide. Also note that in San Diego County the agencies have an MOU that allow ALL agencies within the county to enforce any violations of law anywhere in the county AND gives permission to cite the person in to their local court no matter where the stop was made.

Oh yeah, I used to work down there ... I once pulled over a guy on I-5 well away from my jurisdiction for doing more than 100 MPH ... he argued on the side of the road that I had no jurisdiction on the freeway ... he said he'd take me to court ... didn't happen.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links