Default Wrongly Towed for Expired Registration

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California
    I was pulled over for having expired tags. I paid my registration, but did not pass smog. The police officer said any unpaid registration after 6 months the vehicle is automatically towed. He wrote down vehicle code 400021, and wrote expired registration. I have proof from dmv that the registration was paid, it cost me over $420.00 to get my car back. Should I fight this infraction?

Default Re: Towed Car in San Francisco

A citation for expired registration? If you can prove your vehicle was registered at the time, why wouldn't you?

Default Re: Wrongly Towed for Expired Registration

Quote Quoting Mama6
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California
    I was pulled over for having expired tags. I paid my registration, but did not pass smog. The police officer said any unpaid registration after 6 months the vehicle is automatically towed. He wrote down vehicle code 400021, and wrote expired registration. I have proof from dmv that the registration was paid, it cost me over $420.00 to get my car back. Should I fight this infraction?
    If it didnt pass smog, you didnt finish registration. That's probably why that happened. You have to get the car taken care of as far as smogging, and then you will get your tags and be legal. Until then, it's in limbo and considered "unregistered".

Quote Quoting Mama6
    View Post
    I paid my registration, but did not pass smog.
    you may have paid for the registration but did you recieve your new registration?

as lisalee states; you failed to complete the process to recieve your new registration so, in fact, you had no valid registration.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

If you look at the receipt you received from the DMV when you deposited your fees, it says something like: Deposit of fees only. Not proof of registration.

Therefore, just because your fees are paid does NOT mean your car is registered. It is registered when you pay the fees, the car is smogged, your proof of insurance is verified and the stickers issued. Anything short of that is having a car without valid registration.

1. Sponsored Links