Default Raped and Feeling Like Nobody Cares

My question involves malpractice by a lawyer in the state of: California

I was raped by a los angeles county official, and I reported it to the police in my town which is not in los angeles county. The police investigated it and even though there was alot of evidence the police dropped the case and did not press charges. I contacted a lawyer who said he would take my case. They filed the claim for damages and it was denied 5 months ago. They keep telling me that they are going to file the lawsuit soon. But I know my statute of limitations is running out and I feel like my lawyer is just holding me off until it runs out and then I can't do anything. Can a lawyer do that?

Default I Hired Lawyers 8 Months Ago and They Still Haven't Filed My Lawsuit

My question involves court procedures for the state of: California

I signed a contract with a lawyer back in May of this year to file a lawsuit for me. They have yet to do that and I am concerned that the statute of limitations is going to run out soon. I am also wondering if they are just telling me they will file but really they are holding me off until the statute of limitations runs out so that I cannot file the lawsuit. Any advice would help.
    Thank You

Default Re: I Hired Lawyers to File a Lawsuit 8 Months Ago and They Still Haven't. I Have

Have you called & asked for status of your case?

You might consider getting a different lawyer.

Default Re: I Hired Lawyers 8 Months Ago and They Still Haven't Filed My Lawsuit

I called them and they keep telling me they are going to file by the end of the week and they have said that every week for the last month and a half. I have tried to find another lawyer but it is not easy finding someone who will take on Los Angeles county sheriff's dept and la county. They are vicious people. I am just worried that they "the lawyers" are stringing me along until my statute of limitations runs out. La county is dirty and I wouldn't put it past them to pay off my lawyers not to file. Am I wrong to think this? Mabye I am just really stressed out.

Lightbulb Raped by a Cop and Being Screwed by the System

My question involves police conduct in the State of: California

I was raped by a los angeles county official, and I reported it to the police in my town which is not in los angeles county. The police investigated it and even though there was alot of evidence the police dropped the case and did not press charges. I contacted a lawyer who said he would take my case. They filed the claim for damages and it was denied 5 months ago. They keep telling me that they are going to file the lawsuit soon. But I know my statute of limitations is running out and I feel like my lawyer is just holding me off until it runs out and then I can't do anything. Can a lawyer do that? Why is it that the police protect the police and so do county officials. This cop had no right to rape me in my home in uniform with a gun while my kids were in my home. I feel so alone. I know that these things happen alot more than people know. Ladies if you have ever been sexually assaulted stand up for yourself whether it is a regular person or a person with authority like a police officer. If we don't stand up men like the one who raped me are going to get away with it. The judicial system is so screwed up. I want justice. I have nightmares, insomnia, fears about being alone, and I have lost my job among many other things yet nobody cares. IT IS A MAD SAD WORLD WE LIVE IN

Default Re: I Hired Lawyers 8 Months Ago and They Still Haven't Filed My Lawsuit

"I am just worried that they "the lawyers" are stringing me along until my statute of limitations runs out."

It would be unethical for your attorney to do this, and you could sue him/her for malpractice if they miss the Statute of Limitations.

Thank you for answering my question. I was worried about that. That gave me some peace of mind. More or less we signed a contract where either one of us can stop the contract meaning that they can tell me they don't want to be my lawyers and if I wanted I can tell them I don't want them as lawyers. They are doing this on contengency basis. So what my next question is, is can they wait until right before the statute of limitations expires and then say they no longer want to be my lawyers? Would that still be legal malpractice?

Quote Quoting msjones31
    View Post
    So what my next question is, is can they wait until right before the statute of limitations expires and then say they no longer want to be my lawyers? Would that still be legal malpractice?

Yes, they could, and it would not be malpractice. How close to the Statute are you? Days? Weeks?

I am about 2 1/2 months from the statute of limitations expiring. What can I do to protect myself from that happening?

Get your lawyer to file, find a new lawyer to file for you, or file a lawsuit yourself. I suggest options 1 or 2.

1. Sponsored Links