Default Big Problems with Roommates

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York

My aunt is the property owner of an apartment building in New York State. We have a tenant who has been living on the premis for about 20 with no written lease agreement between tenant and landlord concerning payment or regulations. The building however is under rent control.

Recently, this person has been bringing various roommates who happen to be nothing but trouble. The most recent is a woman, who has been living with him for the past 2 months or so (not girfriend or family. she is ONLY a guest). Through many arguments, and verbal fights. They have called the police on each other one night, and the women claimed physical harassment and now has an order of protection towards our current tenant. Now, the main tenant is out of his apartment, and the trouble causing woman is in. There will be a hearing regarding there problems sometime next week, and the main tenant will try and get his apartment back (we do not want either of them back).

What can my aunt do to kick the woman out who is basically living for free and has no written consent from aunt to be in this apartment. In the mean time, this women brings over men and constantly is creating disturbances to the other tenants.

Default Re: Big Problems with Roommates

So your aunt is a landlord, and owns a rent controlled property somewhere in New York, but does not use written leases? Rent control laws can complicate things a great deal; right now, we don't even know what jurisdiction this is. If this is NYC, landlord-tenant laws are particularly byzantine.

She needs to hire a lawyer, get herself set up with a good lease to use in future situations, and figure out her rights in relation to this person.

Thank you for you relpy. yes, it is a complicated matter. we do have a lawyer. i was wondering if someone here ever heard of such a story. we have all learned our lesson from this, and a good lease will help in the future.

Mr. Knowitall,

If a tenant is not allowed back in his/her apartment (for which ever reasons), and the "guest" is still there with no lease. Is it possible to kick the "guest" out at this point without lawyers getting involved?

1. Sponsored Links