Default Limiting Cell Phone Use

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: New York

My wife has sole custody of my 14 year old stepdaughter. We bought her a cell phone months ago, but when she doesn't follow the rules and doesn't do what she's supposed to, limiting the phone use is a primary punishment tool.

Dad is trying to get out of 12,000 in child support. Two years ago, he dragged my wife into court seeking added visitation with the sole purpose of having her let him out of his child suport obligations, knowing she didn't want to put our daughter through a court mess, qustioning by a law guardian and such.

Anyway, he's trying the same thing again, so they are in court. Despite knowing she has a cell phone, he bought her one and now she's here using it whenever she wants, all day long, because my wife fears we are not allowed to take the phone away since he bought it for her.

I know we can't stop her from talking to him, but if she breaks the rules here, I would think we can still take the phone away since it's our house. Am I right?

Default Re: Cell Phone

If you wish, as long as you allow her to have appropriate phone contact with her father, you can even tell her to leave the phone at his house.

Default Re: Cell Phone

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you wish, as long as you allow her to have appropriate phone contact with her father, you can even tell her to leave the phone at his house.
    What is the definition of that? Legally is there one?

I'm in Texas and my son's mother has decided that zero phone contact is a good idea. We've got a standard visitation schedule, support, etc. She told me the other day that if an emergency came up that they'd "call 911." I then asked the obvious "so you're telling me that if something happens with my son I won't know about it?" To which she responded "yes."

1. Sponsored Links