Default On a Lighter More Touching Note

My great Aunt and great Uncle, Sam and Rose, were married for 66 years. In the past 7 years, she's suffered from Alzheimer's and he's been in failing health; she was 89, he 98. Their daughter and son, my cousins, moved them to a nursing home in Phoenix (by their houses) 3 years ago. They lived in the same room as my uncle stated that he had to take care of his wife, separation was not an option.

This past Monday (11/17), they were having breakfast in their 'apartment' and the nurse came in to take their daily vitals. My aunt stated that she wanted to lie down so the nurse and my uncle walked her to the bed. She laid down, the nurse prepped to check her vitals, my aunt took her last breath and passed.

The next morning, the food service worker brought my uncle his breakfast. He was sitting at their table; arms folded and head down, and he told her he wasn't hungry. She said would leave his breakfast on the table and that the nurse would be there in about hour to take his daily vitals. The nurse arrived about 45 minutes later. My Uncle's breakfast was still on the table and he was lying in bed. When she went to wake him, he was unresponsive. He too had passed away.

They were flown back her to Michigan on Friday for viewing on Sunday and burial today (Monday). Seeing the two of them lying in state together, his bath robe in her casket and hers in his, with a ribbon in his hand and the other end in hers, the children and grandchildren's pictures taped to the ribbon, was unbelievable.

I've read many stories and articles that when one spouse passes away, the other follows quickly, but I've never witnessed it until now. My Aunt was the love of my Uncles life and as my cousins stated; his purpose in life was to take care of (my aunt). When she passed, he served no other purpose here and wanted to be where he belonged, with her.

If that isn't the epitome of love and compassion, then what is?

Default Re: On a Lighter More Touching Note

very touching

In this world of economic hardship, war and violence against members of our own species that would make a rabid tiger with an impacted tooth vomit, love still conquers all.

Even death holds no true power against it. The greatest of these is, indeed, love.

A great lesson on this Thanksgiving... if you love and are loved and know in time, you have a great deal to be thankful for.

For instance, I got laid off at the end of October. Yeah, it stinks. Yeah, I will find something.... but, yeah, it is going to take forever.

But I have great kids, a loving wife, friends that I can call to make me laugh, friends that I can call to pick me up off of a dirt road at 3am (and this has come up) and a family that borders on the gregariously hilarious.

I am blessed. Thanks to you for the chance to chime in.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    I am blessed.
    As are many of us. Yet most, including myself, have taken life for granted. I guess this puts a little perspective in my life, as for my sense of thankfulness and faith. My aunt and uncle instilled this in me; It's worth revisiting.

That was very touching & brought tears to my eyes.

What a wonderful love story!

My in-laws were very similar. Married for 57 years. My MIL suddenly, and very unexpectedly, last summer and we moved my FIL in with us in September. He passed away, just last month. He often told me he was just waiting for her to come get him.

Just helps you to assess your true priorities.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Thanx for sharing Mikey.

What a nice story Mikey....Thank you for sharing.

1. Sponsored Links