Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shoplifting Statute of Limitations on Misdemeanor

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New-Mexico

HI. I am in desparate need of advice. I got caught shoplifting recently at a department store. I had two shirts worth 156.30. I cooperated once stopped at the door. They took me back and called Police. The officer wrote me a citation and told me to call a phone number listed on it in 5 days. It was a stupid thing to do. I recently got divorced and just was'nt thinking right. Anyway, I am a nurse and afraid that any conviction, I could loose my RN license. If I don't do anything and lay low, is there any statue of limitations that would eventually run out on this? The cop said it was a misdemeanor. PLEASE HELP

Default Re: Shopifting Statue of Limitations on Misdemeanor

If you've already been issued a citation, then you've already been charged with the crime. Off the top of my head, shoplifting of less than $250 is a misdemeanor offense. You'll have to go to court and deal with the consequences. The good news is that it shouldn't negitively affect your status as an RN. Your supervisor may retrict you from narcotics handling, or money handling, but you shouldn't lose your lisence. Good luck

If I don't do anything and lay low, is there any statue of limitations that would eventually run out on this?
    As already noted, if you've been issued a citation, you've already been charged with a crime. If you fail to appear in court, you'll end up with a warrant out for your arrest, and those don't expire.

Put your brass ovaries in, call the number, and face the music. You can either hire private counsel now or show up for court, plead Not Guilty and ask for a Public Defender. Either way, an attorney can help you sort out your options and get you probation and a fine.

In some instances, you may also qualify for a first offender's diversion program, which, if completed successfully, keeps your record clean.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Okay, one more question. All of these stores in New Mexico are closing such as Linen's N Things and Mervyns, etc.
    What if I don't go to court, then wait a couple years since it is a misdemeanor and pay the bond then.
    With employee turnover and stores closing, would there be any chance that I may go in a couple of years and it may be dropped then? I'm so worried about having a criminal record, and I read that if it gets dismissed, it would be off your record, but if I go and I am found guilty, it will stay. Plus I don't want my RN license to be affected. I am a good person who made a seriously bad mistake.
    I don't want to ruin my life over this moment of stupid actions. I am 35, and I never get pulled over.
    What do you honestly think?

panther10758 Guest

Now your really being stupid! Not going to court will resul tin a warrant for your arrest. If that happens anything like "Diversion" will be off the table

Sorry, just one more question. What is "Diversion?" Thank you Panther for your previous replys. I am very afraid. I called a therapist to set up an appt. to figure out why I was doing this. Just being honest. This is also not my first time being caught. I was caught twice in College about 5 years ago, but got them dismissed, after serving comm serv. Then I stopped until about 6 mos ago when I got divorced. I don't want to do it any more. I have a son. I have never done drugs or anything else, and also volunteer on the PTA,(not that it makes a diff).
    Since this is a misdemeanor, even though its not my first time, do they still go with misdemeanor punishments? Do you think I will have to go to jail? Will it help if I start therapy before I go to court?

panther10758 Guest

If you have previous thefts Diversion may not be available. I know of a group that has programs you can take (even online) which I am certain judge will smile upon. Send me a PM I will give you that contact info

Default Re: Shoplifting Statute of Limitations on Misdemeanor

Thank you so much. I don't want to live in temptation of repeating this. I especially don't want to loose my job or even worse, my son. I very much want to do a program to try and figure this whole thing out. Its hard, because I can't figure out why. I have an otherwise normal life, never been addicted to anything, except for now, maybe this.
    What is a PM? Sorry, need to learn the abbreviations Thanks again, I would love to know about any programs that will help.

panther10758 Guest

Private message

OK Panther. Thanks again. I will figure out how to send a PM as soon as I get off work. i work at the hospital in 12 hour shifts, but sometimes I do get a break and can use the computer. So expect a PM soon. Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast