My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Florida
Hi Everyone, I need some advice so I hope you can help. I guess I should give you the details first then ask the questions I need help with. I filed a charge of age discrimination with the eeoc, my case was excepted and I am waiting for a reply reguarding mediation ( I said yes to mediation, but waiting to hear about employers decision to mediate). I worked for a female Manager that treated me different then the younger girls in the office. I am much older then the others. During my employment I had been passed over for a promotion with the reason that I couldnt relate to the younger customers. Besides that I had my life threatend (many times) by this manager if I ever turned her in for her abusive behavior. I had my job threatened and even was told to step outside so she could beat me to death. I was called horrible names that are to vulgar to put on here. I have been retalliated against when I did turn her in and wrongfullly written up a couple of times. I have documented proof that I turned her in ( thru emails to her supervisor and HR that I kept copies of ). No action was taken except for the occasional trip to the office and having a conversation about her unexceptable behavior. This manager has had 28 customer compalints filed against her reguarding her abusive and discriminating behavior. I have former employees that are willing to testify to her abuse ( they all quit before I finally left ) I have a copy of one of the customer complaints stating the discrmination they witnessed that was forced on another customer. To make it simple, this manager practices discrimination on everyone she doesnt like. There has been a dicrimination compliant filed with the BBB on her. Another former employee came forward this week and also filed with the eeoc. Since my numerous requests for a transfer have been denied by back office because they felt it would hurt the offices productivity if I left and telling me to just ignore her abusive behavior because she was under alot of stress I decided I could no longer work in that enviroment. I walked away from a high paying job and outstanding benefits. It has caused stress on my marriage and health. Because of the economy I had to take a much lower paying job with no benefits. Ok with that being said, here are my questions.
1. After I sign a except to mediation letter how long before I know if my ex employer excepts to mediate?
2. How long does it take to get a mediation date of both parties are willing to mediate?
3. How do you calculate loss pay and damages? I had been with the company for over 2 years but planned on staying until I retired at age 65. I only worked for this manager for 10 months, so prior to her I had no problems and was considered an outstanding employee.
4. Could my ex employer call me or the mediator and decide to just settle without mediation? This is a fortune 500 company that has already had enough bad press in the past.
5. How do I prepare for mediation? I have never been in this situation.
6. Considering another employee came forward to file a complaint with the eeoc will this prolong the process? Or will it help quiken the process?
My investigator said I can ask for pay up till I reached 65 years of age , plus what I could have gotten for pension and 401K. This would be over a half million, which I know would not be close to the settlement offer. But I dont want to cheat myself short. I went thru 10 months of hell and had to walk away from a job that I truley loved. I would still be there today if I was allowed to transfer. I have documents and witnesses so i believe I have a strong case. One last important note. I will NOT have an attourney because I cant afford one. The retaining fee would be to much for my pocket book. Thanks for your answers.