Default Friend was driving car and crashed...

A friend was driving my car and crashed it broadside into a tree. The damage looks to be in the $1000's on 93 Lexus SC400.

I have full coverage and own the vehicle outright. He has liability coverage only.

Who's insurance company will indemnify?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Auto Collision Damage - Washington State

What does his insurance policy say, in relation to whether the property damage provisions of his liability coverage extend to damage to other vehicles?

If you have his insurance information, you can attempt a claim against his coverage. If you are denied, or choose instead to make the claim through your own insurance company, you can provide your insurance company with his insurance information and they will certainly exercise any right of subrogation that they may have.

Just as I thought. Thank you.

BTW My friend left the scene of the accident to supposedly get a tow truck. My passenger and I remained at the scene.

His friend left in an ambulance and left the hospital with no injuries.

My take is that my friend could face felony charges for leaving the scene of an accident.

Am I correct?

The LEO's did not believe that my friend was driving. No keys were found because they were with the driver.

What can I do to protect myself in this situation?

Default Single Vehicle Accident

If your friend admits that he was driving, that could hold sway with the insurance companies even if the police don't believe him.

It is not uncommon for drivers in single vehicle accidents, particularly if alcohol is involved, to argue that somebody else (now absent from the scene) was driving. If you referred to the other person who was with you as "your passenger" when the police were interviewing you, they very well could have interpreted that as a "slip" indicating that you were the driver - because normally one refers to the driver as the person who "has passengers".

1. Sponsored Links