To explain my situation
1) My medical fellowship job terminated 09/04/08 while my H1B status was till 09/30/08
2) The current employer had applied for the extension/ change of status, and the notice was sent out by USCIS 09/03/08 for a start date from 10/01/08
(by the same employer only - the termination was a mistake due to loss of paperwork due to flooding in the office and they were changing me from traineee to faculty, I was supposed to be on leave without pay from 09/04/08 - 10/01/08)
3) Hurricane came and everything closed down. Now on 10/30/08 our international office is saying that since I was terminated (by mistake though) 09/04/08 and had a break in employment, I have to leave the country and I can not start work till the actual H1B Approval comes
1) Can I just resume work since the H1B portability timing is good. I applied before the termination and I have received the notice.
2) Do I have to wait for the H1B approval to come before I can start work and do I have to leave the country
3) Can I get another job and get premium processing done and quickly get myself in the legal status.
Thank you for your help.