Angry Water Line Easement in North Carolina

I have a home in North Carolina. The city's public water lines end on my property but about 15 years ago the city installed a water meter on my property for a neighbor that lives about 400 feet away. This neighbor nor the city informed me of this and installed the meter when I was not at home. Then the neighbor dug up my driveway, crossed by property...along the edge of the road (on the state hwy right of way) and then across the property of my parent's (without their knowledge or permission) to install his "private" waterline to his cabin. Neither me nor my parent's made an issue since we wanted to be "good neighbors". Now this neighbor's cabin has been sold again and the newer neighbor is being a real pain, telling us that if we break his waterline with our heavy rigs then we will have to pay to fix it and the I should not park in my own driveway to protect his waterline. My deed states that public utilities have a right of way but nothing about my neighbors installing private waterlines. Do I have any recourse, after all this time?? Part of me would like to dig up the self centered sobs waterline and then pour quicksetting cement with mines underneath. HELP! rodeobear@mwt.net

Default Re: Water Line Easement in North Carolina

As long as your rigs are legal, any damage is his problem. Won't stop him from bitching of course. As long as the waterline is on the state right of way there is nothing you can do. You can call it to the attention of the local highway maintenance department since he did not have a permit.

It depends on whether the use is permissive or not. If your parents gave the previous owner permission, then you can always withdraw that permission and try to make him move the line.

Default Re: Water Line Easement in North Carolina

Quote Quoting lwpat
    View Post
    As long as your rigs are legal, any damage is his problem. Won't stop him from bitching of course. As long as the waterline is on the state right of way there is nothing you can do. You can call it to the attention of the local highway maintenance department since he did not have a permit.

It depends on whether the use is permissive or not. If your parents gave the previous owner permission, then you can always withdraw that permission and try to make him move the line.
    No permission was given to anyone to install a waterline on my property or on the property of my parent's. Now I have this "blasted" waterline in my driveway and I would like to re-shape the driveway and cement or pave the entire drive. But I hate to do so and have this guy come along to dig it up later for a repair. The water meter and entire water line may be on the right-of-way for the street.

Thanks!

1. Sponsored Links