Default Red Light Camera Ticket in California, Washington Driver but It's Not Me

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    I just moved to California from Washington and has my car registered in California. Last night, my daughter who's a student in Washington, was caught running a red light on photo. The car is registered under my name and my daughter still has a Washington license. The photo will clearly show that I was not the driver because of age and size differences.

I would like to know what are my options. I am willing to pay the $350 fine but can't afford to have the traffic violation cited on my daughter's record for insurance reasons. Furthermore, there is the complication that I have a contract that requires me to work overseas for about a year.

I read in the other thread I can probably fight this by filing a "trial by declaration" and that I am not required by the law to identify my daughter. What exactly do I have to do and what are my options?

p.s. I presume CA will report the violation to the Washington DMV should my daughter be convicted. Is that right?

Default Re: Red Light Camera Ticket in California, Washington Driver but It's Not Me

I expect that there are instructions on the ticket about how to submit an affidavit indicating that you're not the driver. You don't have to identify the actual driver.

Default Re: Red Light Camera Ticket in California, Washington Driver but It's Not Me

Quote Quoting Music Lover
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    I just moved to California from Washington and has my car registered in California. Last night, my daughter who's a student in Washington, was caught running a red light on photo. The car is registered under my name and my daughter still has a Washington license. The photo will clearly show that I was not the driver because of age and size differences.

I would like to know what are my options. I am willing to pay the $350 fine but can't afford to have the traffic violation cited on my daughter's record for insurance reasons. Furthermore, there is the complication that I have a contract that requires me to work overseas for about a year.

I read in the other thread I can probably fight this by filing a "trial by declaration" and that I am not required by the law to identify my daughter. What exactly do I have to do and what are my options?

p.s. I presume CA will report the violation to the Washington DMV should my daughter be convicted. Is that right?
    To add to Aaron's post, remember that the burden to prove you were actually driving the car is on the state. You're not required to prove you weren't driving it. If they don't have a clear picture of you driving it, then they're just SOL.

In this situation if the OP wanted to fight it and the picture they have is obviously not him, should he just check the box "i'm not the driver"?

Since the OP does not have to give the information of the actual driver, should he just submit a picture? Or is that even necessary?

Follow the instructions that you received. As I previously said, you don't have to identify the actual driver.

1. Sponsored Links