Default Choice Between Multiple Counts of Petit Larceny or Grand Larceny

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NC

Friend and I were talking criminal law and we were wondering who would most likely see longer jail time given that all other variables were the same. None of these events actually happened.

A) Person A with 20 counts of petit larceny that stole a total of $1000 from multiple victims.

B) Person B with a single count of grand larceny that stole a total of $1000 from a single victim.

Default Re: Choice Between Multiple Counts of Petit Larceny or Grand Larceny

There's no one answer. "It depends on the facts".

Quote Quoting chrisjames
    View Post

Friend and I were talking criminal law and we were wondering who would most likely see longer jail time given that all other variables were the same. None of these events actually happened.

A) Person A with 20 counts of petit larceny that stole a total of $1000 from multiple victims.

B) Person B with a single count of grand larceny that stole a total of $1000 from a single victim.

It would depend on where this would happen, whether it's federal or state and how it was committed. Consider for a moment that there are certain types of white collar crimes which carry a stiffer penalty than shooting a federal agent.

Quote Quoting ashman165
    View Post
    It would depend on where this would happen, whether it's federal or state and how it was committed. Consider for a moment that there are certain types of white collar crimes which carry a stiffer penalty than shooting a federal agent.
    WTF???? Go out and cap a Fed, and I'll go out and commit a 6 or 7 figure wire fraud, and we'll see who gets to play "house" with Bubba the ax murderer longer.........my bet is it won't be me!

Quote Quoting chrisjames
    View Post

The are quite a few states that allow aggregation of amounts which determine the offense status, provided it's in the course of the same criminal conduct/activity.

BUT, say you stole $10 one hundred times and your buddy stole $1001 at one time....MOST LIKELY, especially if you're both first-time offenders, you'd be looking at jailtime that could be significantly longer than your bud's, simply because you're a multiple-offense perp.

Quote Quoting souperdave
    View Post
    WTF???? Go out and cap a Fed, and I'll go out and commit a 6 or 7 figure wire fraud, and we'll see who gets to play "house" with Bubba the ax murderer longer.........my bet is it won't be me!
    What a judge might sentence us to is case dependent; what we each *could* be sentenced to isn't statutory. And the fine for that kind of wire fraud is $300k whereas shooting a federal agent is only $250k. The maximum prison term for the fraud is 30 years whereas it's 25 years for shooting a federal agent. At least last time I read it; I see no reason to look it up specifically for this example.

1. Sponsored Links