Default Burglary and Landlord Responsibilities

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Nevada

Hello everyone,

I am a single mother in las vegas and rented an apartment unit in Las Vegas NV. The issue specifically, is my apartment was burglarized a couple of months ago and the police said the whomever did it was probably wearing gloves. (they could not lift the prints). I had several items that were stolen including a lot of jewelry, a laptop, my tattoo equiptment among others. It seems as though the maintenance people are responsible for the theft. I am the only person that has a key other than office personel (office workers and maintenance). Now all the maintenance people had access to the apartment at anytime and the lady in the office offered to have them all printed, but that would not do me any good since no prints could be lifted. However I do have a witness that say she saw maintenance around my apartment door that morning after I had left for work. I always locked my doors and the thief locked up the deadbolt when he/she finished.

My main concern is that I recently had the pictures of my jewelry appraised by a professional jeweler and it is a rather large sum of money. My renters insurance only covers 2500 dollars worth of replacement to it but that is not enough to recover even a tenth of what was stolen.

Would I have a legal case against the property management for the loss of my jewelry that insurance does not cover? If so what kind of lawyer would I need to call to recieve help. ( the only reason that my renters insurance did not cover a higher amount for the jewels was that i had recently recieved most of that jewelry from my grandmothers estate and had not had the opprtunity to get them to an appraiser yet.) I was burglarized 4 days of reciept of the estate jewlery.

Please let me know what my options are and what you would suggest.

Thank you.

Default Re: Burglary and Landlord Responsibilities

In order to sue the apartment complex/owner, you would need SOLID proof that maintenance was responsible for the theft. According to your post...you do not have any proof, just speculation.

1. Sponsored Links