Default When Can I Get Rid of Abandoned Property?

My question involves personal property located in the State of: New Jersey

My ex boyfriend moved out in May 2007. At that time I told him he could leave some belongings in my garage since he had no where to store them. His intent was to buy a house and come get his stuff. That has not happened. In the middle of September 2008, I gave him until the end of Oct to come get his stuff (I told him this in a phone call). I sent him a text message last week asking when he was coming. I still haven't heard from him. October 31 is Friday. How long am I obligated to hang on to his stuff?
    There's a washer, dryer, small frig, various tools, table saw, some furniture.

Default Re: When Can I Get Rid of Abandoned Property?

Can you document that you've given him notice? If not, consider sending him a certified letter (return receipt requested) specifying a date after which his items will no longer be in your garage, and that as of that date he will be able to collect his belongings from curbside.

Default Re: When Can I Get Rid of Abandoned Property?

My plan was to send him a certified letter on Nov 1 stating that I informed him on Sept whatever that he had until Oct 31 to retrieve his belongings, and I sent him a text message on Oct whatever asking when he was planning on doing that, and was considering his property abandoned since he had not responded. I can not place his items curbside because I live within a condo development and will end up being fined by the association. Once I send the letter, how long do I need to keep these items? 30 days? 60?

Default I Want My Garage Back

My question involves personal property located in the State of: NJ
    I have a large number of items in my garage belonging to my ex boyfriend. On Sept 15, I verbally told him that he needs to remove them by Oct 31. I sent him a text message on Oct 12 asking when he was coming, on Oct 24 I left him a voice mail asking the same thing. No response. I am sending him a certified letter on Nov 1. stating that if he does not contact me within 10 days of the date of the letter, I will get rid of his belongings. Legally, can I get rid of his stuff?

1. Sponsored Links