Unhappy Unexpected Interest on Medical Credit Card

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: NJ

I am not sure if this can be considered medical malpractice but I am considering suing my chiropractor. Here is the story in the shortest form!

When I was 11, I had a major slip and fall accident at home in the Caribbean. This caused me massive internal bleeding and eventually spinal problems. I have been to numerous doctors in that country and about 4 when I moved to NJ. I have spent a lot of money but never really felt better.
    Eventually, I was told about this doctor that could help me. He is the chiropractor of sports teams and I was told had a good success rate so I went to him. I decided to go under his care plan, but I had to pay up front. 60 sessions (3 times a week) cost me about $6,000. I did not have the cash to pay up front so he recommended applying for a medical credit card. He advised my husband and I that it would not affect our credit as it was medical in nature and he could get us the 0% interest for18 month, never did he mention or provide info that it would be deferred interest!

This doctor had a partner in his practice, who he decided to have adjust me. He was rough and caused me immense pain to the point where I would leave the office crying, I told him about it but he still had him adjust me, but just with less effort (as I am extremely sensitive). Time went by but I really didnít feel better. In fact, I was experiencing new pains. Mind you, I have a desk job, so I sit all day, which doesnít help. But the pain gets worse and worse.

After a few months, I had to renew my care plan, and pay another $4,000 up front for it. Because I was not feeling any better after spending so much money and the pains were getting worse, I stopped going to his office and I asked them to refund the money I had paid for visits I hadnít used- still waiting on that.

Eventually, the 18 month period was up on the credit card. I got slapped with over $2,000 in back interest, which caused my card to go over the limit and affected my credit score. My husband and I have the card jointly, so his credit was affected as well. Therefore, I am not able to get any new credit cards because of this derogatory account on my credit. Now I am in debt paying off interest that I was told I would not have, cant get new cards to transfer balances, and I have to move cause my job relocated, but we canít get a good apartment because of the derogatory information on the credit card.

I am supposed to go to the doctorís office to review all the information, as he was a bit shocked when I told him about the $2,000 in interest being slapped on my card. I donít know what he is going to do to accommodate me. I would love to get my almost $10K back, but I highly doubt that would happen. When I mentioned to him that I am always in pain, he said to me that he thinks thatís odd, as his only patient that says stuff like that is over 70 years old. I am 23.

I would love some professional advice.
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Should I Sue My Chiropractor?

The $2,000 in interest is because you didn't pay your credit card bill, so the credit card company charged you interest?

Understood- but the doctor was the one who informed me about the card and never informed about the terms and conditions.
    Interest free does not mean deferred interest. When you get 0% interest on credit cards, they don't slap on back interest when the interest free term is over

Doctor misinformed and now my credit is shot!

Also caused me more immense pain

You read the application materials, didn't you?

If you didn't, that was your choice. If you did, and proper disclosures weren't included, complain to the FTC.

Default Re: Unexpected Interest on Medical Credit Card

Normally, all that type of information is in the credit card agreement.

Default Re: Unexpected Interest on Medical Credit Card

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    Normally, all that type of information is in the credit card agreement.

Betty's right. Trini, you have to accept some responsibility for not reading the agreement thoroughly before signing it. You know the saying: "If it's sounds too good to be true....."?

1. Sponsored Links