Default Dealer Forged Signature on Transfer Title

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: CA

I bought a used car back I November 2007. The car is still not completely transfer to my name. Last month I met with the dealer about this situation and they told me that they're duplicating the original title from out of state so it's going to take a while. He showed me the transfer papers and I realized that they forged my signature on that document. The transfer title was dated back to the day I bought the car but I never saw or signed a transfer title. I have all the copies of documents that they gave me on that day but i don't have a copy of that particular one. Also my friend was there with me and we both agree that wasn't my signature; it didn't even look close to it.

Now my questions are, do a have a case? If so should I open one? Even though I'm very angry that they did that, the car is still going to be under my name at the end (whenever that is because it's been almost a year now.) if i do open a case and win what will i win? will i lose my car because technically i never sign the transfer papers so it's not my car yet even though i paid cash for it?

Default Re: Dealer Forged Signature on Transfer Title

The dealer showed you the title work. You saw the signature was not yours. You then said to the dealer, "Hey - that's not my signature." The dealer replied: _______ ?

The guy at the dealership didn't say anything. He just gave me the "I don't know what's going on look." I even compared my signature from the contracts he had there with the forged title. He didn't say anything.

Also, I forgot to add this. I planning to enlist in the Air Force in January 2009 so if I open a case with them is it going to be over by then? I don't care if I lose the car as long as I get my money back for it.

Your cause of action being what? Your damages being what?

No, you should not expect any litigation to be completed by January. That's possible, particularly in small claims court, but unlikely.

1. Sponsored Links