Default Who Owns the Fence

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida

property line fence has been there for years and now needs repair but how do know who owns the fence?

Default Re: Who Owns the Fence

One thing I learned in Missouri is that the City Building Code states "when building a fence on your property, the "face" (the nice side) will face away from your property toward your neighbor's property"--support posts on builder's side.

You might check the City Code for any reference to that and see which side you have. When I bought my house, I had/have the good side facing my yard, and my fence is attached to the corner of my house inside my property line, but whoever built it did it wrong (according to Building Code today).

We also have some stupid thing in Missouri Statutes that still says "if a property division fence (on the dividing line) needs repairs, the parties shall stand on their own properties facing each other, and the one on one side shall be responsible for the fence on their right--and the one on the other shall be responsible for the fence on their right--and shall be equally responsible for restraining their herds". Nothing about if you don't have a herd on your city lot! So that's where City Code came in.

Default Re: Who Owns the Fence

is the fence actually ON the property line? Do you have a survey to prove it?

1. Sponsored Links