Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default $525 for 85mph in 65mph Zone in West Covina, California

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: CA

i just received the letter to pay for my ticket speeding ticket. it cost $525!!!! it was for 85mph in a 65mph zone. this happen in west covina, ca. there were no construction zone or anything like that there. is this normal or was there a typo somewhere on the letter? i think $525 for 20mph over is ridiculous.
    he marked me down for speeding and wrote down verbal warning for unsafe lane change and following _____ (can't make out what he wrote), but he said i'm only being charged for speeding and the other 2 is just a warning. so i don't get why it cost $525!!! it was not by radar also, he put down approx 85.

any help appreciated since i can't call the court until monday. thanks in advance.

i also haven't gotten a ticket in at least 2 years. and those tickets i went to traffic school already. i'm 25 years old also if that helps.

Default Re: $525 for 85mph in 65mph Zone in West Covina, California

What was the code section(s) you were cited with?

Also, if you have not gone to traffic school in 2 years, you should be eligible again.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

after rereading everything carefully, i missed seeing the part where they put down 3 violations. the officer after giving me a ticket told me that he's only gonna charging me with speeding and giving me a verbal warning for the other two. and the ticket itself have a circled V next to the other two violation. will this go on my record since it's suppose to be a verbal? and did the clerk messed up and put this on the violation? i'm more worried now about points making my isnurance go up then the bill itself now.

What are the charges on the citation for which you have to pay a fine or attend court? The code section(s), if you please.

If it was not charged, it won't go on your driving record. Some officers - and even some agencies - will not the additional violations on the cite or on the notes section on back more for information or justification then for any other purpose. For instance, if I stop someone for rolling through a stop sign, but find that they also have an expired driver's license, I might cite them for the expired license and only note the stop sign violation (the former is a fix-it ticket, the latter is a mover) but I might note the stop sign violation on the front to indicate the reasonable suspicion for the stop.

- Carl

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

on the ticket it say
    22349 (a) v.c - exceeding 65 mph
    letter V with circle around it - 21658 (a) v.c - unsafe lane change
    letter V with circle around it - 21703 v.c. - following too close

on the letter it say
    violations: 22349A 29 21658A 29 21703 29

and how do i know if was charged or not? is there some way to look into or i have to go by the word of the officer? i kno i'll probably get an explanation tomorrow, but this is gonna be in my head the rest of the day until i figure it out.

It sounds like the clerk hit you for all three. According to the state bail and fee schedule the recommended amounts should be:

22349(a) $146
    21658(a) $266
    21703 $146

So, the recommended totals would be about $558 ... your $525 assessment is in the ballpark.

You may have try and contact the officer and ask about this, or point this out at your arraignment. It would not be the first time that a court clerk misunderstood an officer's intent or writing.

- Carl

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

thanks. so should i call them over the phone tomorrow or just show up and talk to the clerk directly?

A personal visit to the court is likely to gain more than a phone call unless it is way out of your way. I suspect, however, that the clerk will not be free to modify the citation in any way and that you may have to ask the court to do so, instead. Most courts do not allow clerks to drop offenses in this manner as it can lend itself to questions of impropriety (bribery).

- Carl

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

sorry for all the questions, but i never had to do any of this before.

so am i suppose to appear in court at the time given on my ticket? or could i just walk in tomorrow? i'm not sure on which person am i suppose to approch in the court to make the change.

thansk again

Quote Quoting jetix3213@gmail.com
    View Post
    sorry for all the questions, but i never had to do any of this before.

so am i suppose to appear in court at the time given on my ticket? or could i just walk in tomorrow? i'm not sure on which person am i suppose to approch in the court to make the change.

thansk again
    You may generally appear before the listed court date, but this practice may vary by court. You should start with the clerk's office or whatever office handles traffic offenses at the court house in question. As I said, it is very likely the clerk will not be able to make the change, so you might have to save that request for your arraignment (which would be the date and time on the citation unless you are permitted to appear earlier).

I can't really give you a definitive answer as the practices and policies vary to some degree by county. Try checking your county's court website (just Google your county and add "superior court" or "traffic court" and you should get some links). The website should have information and contact numbers you can use.

- Carl

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast