Default Falsely Accused of Covering Up a Theft

My question involves defamation in the state of: Texas

I quit a job after 3 years and had to fight my employer for wages owed since 9/17/08. He begged me to come back in and talk with him after I have been humiliated, defamed, insulted, and intentionally emotionally harmed by the new practice manager he hired. When I never told himI would come in and talk with him he sent me an email stating that "When you and ___ covered up the stolen check for 4000.00 I showed understanding in not calling the police with all the video. instead I helped out".
    I have no idea what he is talking about except there was a check missing and it was cashed. I had absolutely nothing to do with that except that the check book with some signed checks were in my desk drawer. I am totally insulted by the fact that he stated this to me and never once cfonfronted me about it while I was working for him. I said I would certainly take a lie detector test to prove him wrong and still would to this day.
    Can I file a suit against him? I am very angry that he (as a professional in the community would have the nerve to do this)

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Covering Up a Theft

Quote Quoting nowathome
    View Post
    My question involves defamation in the state of: Texas

I quit a job after 3 years and had to fight my employer for wages owed since 9/17/08. He begged me to come back in and talk with him after I have been humiliated, defamed, insulted, and intentionally emotionally harmed by the new practice manager he hired. When I never told himI would come in and talk with him he sent me an email stating that "When you and ___ covered up the stolen check for 4000.00 I showed understanding in not calling the police with all the video. instead I helped out".
    I have no idea what he is talking about except there was a check missing and it was cashed. I had absolutely nothing to do with that except that the check book with some signed checks were in my desk drawer. I am totally insulted by the fact that he stated this to me and never once cfonfronted me about it while I was working for him. I said I would certainly take a lie detector test to prove him wrong and still would to this day.
    Can I file a suit against him? I am very angry that he (as a professional in the community would have the nerve to do this)
    Anyone can file a suit against anyone else for anything. Whether it'll make it to court is another story.

It also make a difference, for the "defamation" bit if he told this to other people and if you were materially damaged by it; i.e., your reputation was actually damage, you lost the ability to work or something like that. Bear in mind though that truth is absolute defense to slander/libel. If he has the video you implied he has showing what he thinks is you doing what you say he thinks you did, he might actually have it?

In that conversation you had with him, what else did he say? If he's "begg[ing]" you to come in and talk about it, what's he saying about the money he owes you? Is he trying to work something out with you? You are refusing to talk to him. He might have a check waiting there for you. Or a job offer. I don't think filing a lawsuit is the very first thing you should entertain doing. If I were you, I'd talk to the man first to see what's on his mind.

If there's a chance that you can get this resolved, then you have a duty to mitigate it. The courts aren't there because you don't want to talk to the guy. They're there if you're wronged and the guy refuses to talk to you. But he's offered to have a meeting with you about it. I don't think a judge is going to let a lawsuit go forward since it's entirely possible he's actually trying to work it out with you.

You said you quit. You didn't say why because, as you said, you and he never talked about while you worked there.

Of course, you can always hire an attorney and go that route.

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Covering Up a Theft

I quit because I was harrassed/intimidated by the new manager. I was to continue by normal duties of managing staff but she to pull 2 of them to help her and I had 1 other employee out ill. 2 of us trying to di the job of 5 was intolerable and we my previous cancer when I get nervous, overwelmed, and frustrated I beginto have intestinal problems and headaches..which are medically documented in my doctors office. The new manager was pushing me to this limit and refused to have the other employees help...so, I walked.
    Also, I have had many conversations with the owner and we had cometo the conclusion that there wa no further need to talk. What he wanted to talk about had nothing to do with that last statement that he sent me , it was the above issues at hand, my 401k, PTO that he didn[t want to pay (they had the incorrect date of employment which I proved them wrong), and age, gender, and intentional infliction.

1. Sponsored Links