Exclamation Wrongly Accused of Shoplifting After Purchase, While Still in the Store

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

I'd like to know what to do about being wrongly accused of shoplifting.

The other day I was shopping with two friends at a clothing store, Maurices. We were the only customers in the store, apart from one other shopper. We picked out scarves and went to the counter to check out, where there was no store associate waiting. After waiting five to ten minutes, a woman (wearing a store lanyard with keys and an employee id) walked through our group and looked at us, completely ignoring us on her way to help the other customer pick out a skirt. Let's call her Employee A. I was bothered by the fact that she did not smile, say hello, ask if we needed help, or offer to find someone to help us.

A few minutes later, Employee B came out and rang up my scarf-- I told her that it was alright, I did not need one of the store's plastic shopping bags because the scarf was small and I could carry it in my shoulder bag, in an attempt to be eco-friendly. Employee B continued to help my friend ring up her purchase, while I stood with her at the counter waiting. Employee A and her customer came up and started chatting with my friends and Employee B, and I went to place the scarf I'd just purchased in my bag-- but Employee A rushed forward to take the scarf from me and said "I'll just take that, please!"

She had assumed I was attempting to steal the scarf. Employee B piped up "I just rang that up," saving me from explaining or trying to deny her accusation, but I was embarassed, needless to say.

It was ridiculous, as I was still standing at the counter with multiple store associates standing around me! Later that day, a friend told me that her employer (at a different retail store) had told her it was illegal to approach a suspected shoplifter until they had left the store-- should Employee A done what she did?

Default Re: Wrongly Accused of Shoplifting After Purchase, While Still in the Store

Probably not but that doesn't make it against the law. Call the store manager and have a chat with them.

1. Sponsored Links