Exclamation Co-Signer Didn't Sign New Lease - Does That Void It?

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Florida
    Ok so heres the story my gf and myself got our first apartment but due to lack of credit income and rent history we needed a cosigner her parents did it for us ok so we had problems with our apartment after a long process we were transfered into a new apartment well they had us sign a completely new lease even though we were only half way through our old lease. Well our new lease wouldnt go through w/o her parents still but they couldnt come as they lived 2 hours away now. So the office said they would just reuse their old information which of none was the same really. And that they would need to sign the application and the new lease well fast forward 3 months and they still never signed OR even gave consent for their information to be reused (the office suggested well just use their old application) or for their names to be used in the new lease. So my question is can we use that to get out of our lease because we are tired of the living conditions and environment as well as a friends parent has a house that cheaper for rent. Thanks for any help

Default Re: Co-Signer Didnt Sign New Lease - Does That Void It?

You signed the lease, and thus you can be held to the lease.

so it doesnt matter that without our cosigner our application wouldnt have gone through and they used their information without their consent. our lease isnt a automatic renewing so their consent for their information to be used for the application AND the actually lease should've been required.

Quote Quoting Ahstim8907
    View Post
    so it doesnt matter that without our cosigner our application wouldnt have gone through and they used their information without their consent. our lease isnt a automatic renewing so their consent for their information to be used for the application AND the actually lease should've been required.
    Well, that has nothing to do with whether you're liable for the rent or not. If they used some cosigner's information without the alleged cosigner's consent (and I'll assume that as true for the sake of argument), it's irrelevant to them extending to you the credit.

For whatever reasons, they decided to let you live there and signed a contract with you. That they said it was on the condition of your parents later on signing isn't relevant. They extended you a lease. You accepted. You signed it. You're responsible for the debt.

But if your parents didn't sign anything, or tell them in anyway that they would cosign for the new lease, then your parents are scott-free. You, however, aren't. Of course, it might cost your parents a lot of trouble and money to show that they aren't responsible. But if they didn't sign the paperwork, they didn't sign the paperwork.

Default Re: Co-Signer Didn't Sign New Lease - Does That Void It?

Alright thats fine then ill just break the lease pay my grand and be on my way.

Default Re: Co-Signer Didn't Sign New Lease - Does That Void It?

well scratch my last statement seeing as this is my day off i went to the office got my copy of my lease finally and they have a lease buy out and i will be taking that route. thanks for the answers to the people that helped.

1. Sponsored Links