Default Can I Use Blizzard's Character in My Art Portfolio?

I'm an art student in a 3D Character Modeling class. Our final requires us to buy an action figure and model it in 3D. I've chosen this one:

http://www.dccomics.com/dcunlimited/wow/?dcd=9880

It's a character by Blizzard. I'm wondering whether or not I'd be allowed to use it in a personal portfolio. Someone said it's fine as long as I credit Blizzard, but I want to be sure so I don't run into potential legal trouble.

Thanks!

Default Re: Can I Use Blizzard's Character in My Art Portfolio?

Personally, I searched the site and found no legal notices indicating that "reproduction or redistribution, without the express written permission of..." anywhere. I did see the standard copyright and trademark notices though

I would assume (and please don't quote me) that as long as you made a clear reference to these, you should not be in violation.

But, of course, you don't need to include any such language to enjoy copyright protection.

In terms of your use of copyrighted art for a class project, and then to include your class project in your portfolio, with associated limited, non-commercial use and distribution, it sounds to me like it falls under fair use. Trademark is another issue - there's no fair use exception to trademark law - but I don't know if the character is trademarked and, in all honesty, I've never heard of a company pursuing this sort of student use as either a trademark or copyright violation.

Thanks guys. I did doubt Blizzard would chase me down for something like this as well, but I just wanted to make sure. It turns out that one of my prior teachers couldn't show his animation at an animation festival because he animated a little girl singing along to a Britney Spears song.

Blizzard actually encourages Fan Art. You might consider submitting a copy to them for display in their galleries when you're finished with your project.

Haha, wow, that's a great point. I should know this better than anyone. Thanks for pointing that out!

1. Sponsored Links