Default Failure to Relay CT Findings

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Texas.

I have suffered for over a year and a half with unexplained severe low back pain, abdominal pain, weakness, fatigue, malaise, nausea, and vomiting. I went to an ER in Sept of last year of which I had a CT of abdomen and pelvis and xrays and was told my pains were musculoskeletal and sent home after the treating NP said "I sure hope you didn't come in here just to get pain meds because I will not give you any." I said I have every pain med there is and they are not helping. I am here to see if you can figure out what is wrong with me and fix me so I can function and not be in so much pain.

All of my issues have continued with no clear finding other than finally realizing Medrol Dosepaks and/or corticosteriods offered me temporary relief from my primary. She also said it had to be musculoskeletal and my other option was MRI, which she felt would be unremarkable based on my symptoms so I never obtained this as I don't have insurance and didn't want to fork out that much money for an unremarkable test.

Have been to the ER probably 6 times throughout this period of which in August of this year I was hospitalized with acute renal failure from a different hospital than above. I was then diagnosed with retroperitoneal fibrosis, a very rare condition. It had progressed to the point of the masses attacking my ureters and kidneys and both of my kidneys were shut down. I was told had I waited 2 more days to come in, I would have died. I had bilateral stents placed as a temporary fix to save my life and was hospitalized for 7 days. Now I have to have major ureterolysis surgery and have irreversible kidney damage for the rest of my life. My medical bills are already at $100,000 over the last year, loss of 2 jobs, and lived in major pain.

My complaint is after obtaining my medical records last week to take to my surgeon, I found the radiologist's report from my 1st ER visit mentioned above in which I was told it was musculoskeletal and nothing was found on my tests. No treatment given other than to take the meds I was already taking. The radiologist pointed out a hazy density around my abdominal aorta very consistent with retroperitoneal fibrosis. He went on to state retroperitoneal fibrosis could not be ruled out and pointed out that there was no ureteral or kidney involvement at that time, which was a year ago. I was NEVER told this info, never notified of his findings to followup and see if that was indeed what I had. Had this information and findings been relayed to me, it could have been further investigated and taken care of before it progressed to giving me lifelong, irreversible kidney damage and having to undergo my prior surgery and my major upcoming surgery. If the masses are caught early enough before attacking the ureters and kidneys, they can be treated with medications to control it and prevent the growth from attacking the ureters and kidneys. Once it gets as far progressed as mine is affecting them already, it is too late and I have to undergo major ureterolysis surgery. All of this could have been prevented had I been notified of the results of the radiologist's findings on the CT scan performed at my ER visit over a year ago. Are there rules or laws that state you have to be notified of findings like this? I was sent a certified letter from another one of my ER visits where they found an adrenal adenoma and they sent me a certified letter stating it needed followed up on, thus relieving their liability. But this hospital never did this for me nor told me of the results while I was at the ER seeking help. Do I have a malpractice case?

Default Re: Questionable Malpractice Failure to Relay CT Findings

Did you request copy of the CT to be forwarded to your PCP? Did she have a copy of the report when you went for your last visit?

Default Re: Questionable Malpractice Failure to Relay CT Findings

Quote Quoting roadrunnerMT
    View Post
    I was sent a certified letter from another one of my ER visits where they found an adrenal adenoma and they sent me a certified letter stating it needed followed up on, thus relieving their liability. But this hospital never did this for me nor told me of the results while I was at the ER seeking help. Do I have a malpractice case?
    Which of these came first?

1. Sponsored Links