Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got a Speeding Ticket Due to My Tire Size

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Washington

So i was traveling up to school and my car was packed, i was seriously 5 minutes away from my university, and he pulls me over in my 87 VW Golf.

He says he clocked me going 70 in a 60. I thought the limit was 65. He had pity on me, and gave me 65 in a 60. I realized that the tires i have on my car are a bit bigger in diameter and are throwing my speedo off. So my speedo was reading about 60, but i was really doing about 70. he was in the oncoming lane when he clocked me. This is my first ticket, im 20, driving since 16. there is no mention of traffic school like in CA where you can not have it go on your record. the ticket is for $90, which is not bad, but is there anything i can do? Is the tire size and excuse? i would atleast like this not to go on my record if i can, or get out of it maybe on the speedo problem. Thanks a lot!

Default Re: From California Got 5 Over Ticket in Washington, on My Record Tire Size

Consider seeking a deferral, as described here.

Default Re: From California Got 5 Over Ticket in Washington, on My Record Tire Size

In Washington, we're curiously big on after market equipment on cars for some reason. Anyway, no, improper equipment isn't a good defense for speeding.

However, for a nominal fee, you can defer the prosecution of one speeding ticket every 7 years. You can hire a lawyer and pay him, and then pay the fine. Or you can not hire a lawyer, not pay him and pay the fine. Either way, you get the 1 deferment. Call the court where the ticket's to be adjudicated and the clerk should should have information on this for you.

Also, go get your tires and speedometer calibrated. If you can't afford it, on I-5 North between Pierce and King counties (Tacoma and Seattle) there is at least 1 (and I think 2, but 1 for sure) speedometer check points.

And that's a fancy term for a couple of mile long stretch of road that has each mile precisely marked so that you can test it yourself with a bit of simple math. At the speed limit, it should take your presicely 1 minute between signs.

ash
    is there an online site that lists self test points in each state?

Quote Quoting THEAMAZINGCHAN
    View Post
    ash
    is there an online site that lists self test points in each state?
    Perhaps. I've never checked. It's just one of those landmarks I notice on my trips up to Seattle to let me know I'm 20 miles and 3 hours away from Seattle. That and this enormous, ginormous video billboard which can burn your retinas with its 82.5 supraquadrillion candlepower.

I'm not even sure what keywords to type into google to check for it.

"The court will assess "administrative costs" -- usually $100"

doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? my ticket is $90, but i don't want it on my record mostly.

Why do i need a lawyer for a deferal? it sounds like i could do it myself.

Also is there a fee for just showing up in court to explain my problem? like telling the judge i am getting the right size rubber soon?

These arn't aftermarked rims, they are the stock VW rims with the wrong size rubber.

The "administrative costs" have gone up since that post in the old thread. It's usually about $150 in King County. But here's the deal: If you plead "guilty with an explanation" (i.e. request a mitigation hearing), your fine will probably be cut in half. However, the infraction WILL go on your record, which could result in higher insurance costs for the next several years.

A deferral may actually be more expensive, but, if you don't get another ticket for the next year, this one will be dismissed and won't show up on your record. Now, the down side is that if you DO receive another ticket within the deferral period, BOTH tickets will appear on your record. Just imagine what THAT will do to your insurance rates.

The oversized tires may be a mitigating excuse, but will probably NOT get your ticket dismissed. So, unless you've got another defense in mind, I'd say a deferral is your best bet, as it will probably save you money in the long run. Plus, you can call the Clerk of the Court to see if you can request the deferral by mail (or even online in some jurisdictions) and avoid having to take time out for a hearing.

Barry

That's the upside the deferral: it doesn't go on your record (provided you don't get another ticket within the 1 year period).

I don't know what you mean by oversize rubber, but as I understand you, you knew about it. So, I don't think it's going to make a good defense to speeding.

Good luck.

Default Re: Got a Speeding Ticket Due to My Tire Size

So i called and its $123 to defer my ticket. vs. 90 to pay it off. So im guessing my best choice would be to defer it, right? thanks a lot guys.

Default Re: Got a Speeding Ticket Due to My Tire Size

I would personally defer it.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast