Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What Are the Chances I Have Heart Damage?

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: CA

I'm a 31 yr old male. On Thursday, I went to the er because i was having a mild reaction to something. They got me into a room and hooked me up to an iv. I've had this happen once before. I expected them to give me a shot of benadryl and maybe a subcutaneous , small dose of adrenaline. Well, I'm looking down at the other end of my bed, and I see a nurse splurge something into my IV. They administered me a huge does of adrenaline, intravenously. With in seconds, I started seizing, and then went into cardiac arrest. I flat lined for 6 seconds before telling myself, somehow, to get your heart beat back!

The entire staff apologized for almost killing me. The apologies keep pouring in.

I'm seeing a cardiologist Monday. What long term affects should I be worried about? What should I legally do here?

Thanks ALL!

Default Re: What Are the Chances I Have Heart Damage?

We are not doctors. We cannot advise you upon your current medical condition.

When you see a doctor and that doctor has made a diagnosis, come back and let us know.

Quote Quoting ismyheartok
    View Post
    My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: CA

I'm a 31 yr old male. On Thursday, I went to the er because i was having a mild reaction to something. They got me into a room and hooked me up to an iv. I've had this happen once before. I expected them to give me a shot of benadryl and maybe a subcutaneous , small dose of adrenaline. Well, I'm looking down at the other end of my bed, and I see a nurse splurge something into my IV. They administered me a huge does of adrenaline, intravenously. With in seconds, I started seizing, and then went into cardiac arrest. I flat lined for 6 seconds before telling myself, somehow, to get your heart beat back!

The entire staff apologized for almost killing me. The apologies keep pouring in.

I'm seeing a cardiologist Monday. What long term affects should I be worried about? What should I legally do here?

Thanks ALL!
    Welcome back! Glad your with us.
    What you need to do is get a copy of the ER record from your visit. This is the only way that you are going to find out exactly what was given to you and the dose given to you. Unless we know what kind of rythym you were in to get the med to begin with, we would only be guessing as to what happened.

We have no idea based on what you posted what the long term affects (if any) will be. The cardiologist should be able to answer that better than us. Take a copy of the ER report along when you see him.

I'm sure that was scary to go through.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post
    Welcome back! Glad your with us.
    What you need to do is get a copy of the ER record from your visit. This is the only way that you are going to find out exactly what was given to you and the dose given to you. Unless we know what kind of rythym you were in to get the med to begin with, we would only be guessing as to what happened.
    It's nice to be back I have a copy of the report. The report states that I was " ORDERED .375 epinephrine subcutaneously and that the patient also received benadryl 50 IV push given by ME" Keep in mind, "ME" did not administer the epinephrine / adrenaline. The adrenaline, .375 , was pushed directly into my intravenous connection by the "staff" that was supposedly ordered by "ME" to be given subcutaneously.

After the shot, according to the report, I developed a very rapid tachycardia lasting 28 seconds. V tack was called at 9:28 pm. "HE" admits the report that "He" had to break the news to me about the accidental injection after I regained consciousness.

While getting my records at the hospital the next day; -- after calling 3 times with no return phone call, I had my gf take me to the hospital -- when I arrived they immediately knew who I was as one of the senior administrators recognized my name and offered an apology on behalf of the hospital. He then got the nursing supervisor from the er while I was waiting for my records. The er supervisor said they are taking all steps possible to make sure miss communications like that don't ever happen again.

I see the cardiologist tomorrow. Likely, a therapist in the evening.

I do hope that adds some clarification.

WOW!! and YIKES all at the same time.

As far as the "me" and "he" goes, it's not uncommon for the nurse to chart that way as there is usually only one nurse charting on a patient. There initials and signature are somewhere on the form to identify them.

As far as the IV push mistake instead of IM. Yeah, big mistake. It comes down to a nursing error. That is...if in fact that it was a nurse and not a resident or med student (I know you didn't want to hear that). Its not likely that the drug itself will have any lasting effects but it also depends on how many times you had to be shocked. IMHO, you should have an independent cardiologist (one not connected to the hospital or on staff) do a complete cardiac work up and make the hospital foot the bill. Then go from there.

You can also get the name of the person who gave the wrong med and report them to the appropriate state board. They should all carry malpractice insurance.

Good luck and please let us know how things work out. I'm sure it's not the last time that you'll see the adminstrators either!

Most likely there are no long term effects as heart tissue wouldn't have had time to die from lack of oxegen and blood, you had a different sort of heart event.

Quote Quoting kist
    View Post
    Most likely there are no long term effects as heart tissue wouldn't have had time to die from lack of oxegen and blood, you had a different sort of heart event.
    That would be great news. There seems to be quite a mixture of information and opinions regarding any affects that could be suffered long term. I'm very anxious to get the testing done this week and hope the for the most positive of news. I also anxiously await to start feeling 100% normal and active again.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post
    WOW!! and YIKES all at the same time.

As far as the "me" and "he" goes, it's not uncommon for the nurse to chart that way as there is usually only one nurse charting on a patient. There initials and signature are somewhere on the form to identify them.

As far as the IV push mistake instead of IM. Yeah, big mistake. It comes down to a nursing error. That is...if in fact that it was a nurse and not a resident or med student (I know you didn't want to hear that). Its not likely that the drug itself will have any lasting effects but it also depends on how many times you had to be shocked. IMHO, you should have an independent cardiologist (one not connected to the hospital or on staff) do a complete cardiac work up and make the hospital foot the bill. Then go from there.

You can also get the name of the person who gave the wrong med and report them to the appropriate state board. They should all carry malpractice insurance.

Good luck and please let us know how things work out. I'm sure it's not the last time that you'll see the administrators either!
    I strongly feel that hospital --and I'm sure many more -- need to have those come forward that experience such unnecessary and completely avoidable traumatic events from occurring. There is no reason or excuse for what happened to me. If some type of action isn't taken, I' sure the likelihood that such neglect and blatant malpractice will continue.

Quote Quoting ismyheartok
    View Post

After the shot, according to the report, I developed a very rapid tachycardia lasting 28 seconds. V tack was called at 9:28 pm. "HE" admits the report that "He" had to break the news to me about the accidental injection after I regained consciousness.

I do hope that adds some clarification.
    Not really. a "very rapid tach" is meaningless without a number and what do you mean that "V tach was called at 9:28"?

Were you defibrillated? What meds were administered during the event? What actions were taken to treat you? How was your heart resuscitated?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast