Default Totaled Car Sold with Clear Title

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Va.
    My brother bought a used car from a used car dealer. He was told that only 1 other person had owned the car. He traded his van in and put $600 down.
    The car shakes when you get over 40.

so I pulled a carfax report today and found out that my brother is the 6th owner of the car and the car had been total loss.

We went to the dealer today with this info. The dealer said he put $510 work into the van so he is willing to trade back the cars but only willing to give him 80 of the 600 back.

He claims it was a clear title when he bought the car at the auction and the dealer that sold the car at the action screwed him.

How did this car get a clear title when it's been totaled?

Should my brother have to pay for the work done to the van and lose the only cash he has for a down papment on another car?
    He didn't want to pay for the van to be fixed, he wanted to trade it in for a newer and better car.

between here and there, but you can't here from there

Default Re: Totaled Car Sold with Clear Title

Was your brother shown the documents of the "said" repairs? If they cannot provide any receipts, then he has a bargaining chip. If they have papers showing what was done and you can see it was done, consider the van fixed.

Without anything saying the car is a one owner vehicle at the time it was sold to your brother, you're pretty much at the dealer's mercy, I would think.

Default Re: Totaled Car Sold with Clear Title

I still got some research to do , but I was thinking it must be some comsumer
    law that doesn't allow a totaled car to be put back on the market without the consumer being told.

when a car gets totaled does it get a salvage title?

1. Sponsored Links