Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Emancipation of a 17 Year Old in Oregon

    My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Oregon

    I'm 17 years old and live in washington county. I have a plan to attend college (& pay for college), I am a senior in high school with good grades(graduating one semister before my class), I have a full time job with an income of $1200+ per month depending on my commission checks (I work in sales). I have had this job for 17 months and have worked my way up the company and I am now assistant manager. I have a full monthly budget completed & I have the form for emancipation. I even have the apartment picked out that I would want to move into. I'm just wondering what my chances are of being emancipated? I keep hearing that it's extremely difficult and almost impossible. I pay for my car payment, gas, oil changes, tires ect. I pay for all my own clothing. I pay my own phone bill & get myself to work and school on time everyday. I have several employees at my work including a corprate manager, regional manger & my manger who will write letters to the court on my behalf regarding my maturity and responsibility. I also have two teachers at my school who will write letters to the court on my behalf regarding my education. I also have a family friend of 9 years and parent of my best friend who is willing to write a letter on my behalf regarding my mother's behavior and my maturity.
    Me and my mom have butted heads ever since I was 13. She used to try to be a good parent but her and my step dad have had problems for years and she seems to have lost sight of being a parent. She used to drink and do drugs but even though shes clean now it seems the effects of the partying are coming through now. She's emotionaly abusive & I have family members who would vouch for that. She has extreme mood swings and crazy thoughts. My step dad makes me feel extremely unwanted & tells me to get out all the time that there is no reason for me to be there anymore. I'm not sure wether or not my mom would protest the emancipation but I know abuse is wrong and there is no reason for me to be subjected to it everyday.

    I can afford a lawyer but I don't want to obtain one unless I absolutely have to. I wanted to spend my saved money on college not a lawyer haha.

    Please just give me any advice you have on making my case stronger & if you believe it would be possible to get emancipated from my mother. Also wether or not obtaining a lawyer would be a good decision.
    Thank You!

  2. #2
    panther10758 Guest

    Default Re: Emancipation of a 17 Year Old in Oregon





    419B.550. Definitions for ORS 419B.550 to 419B.558.

    As used in ORS 419B.550 to 419B.558:

    (1) "Domicile" of a minor means the legal residence or domicile of the custodial parent or guardian.

    (2) "Emancipation" means conferral of certain rights of majority upon a minor, as enumerated in ORS 419B.552.

    (3) "Minor" means a person under the age of 18 years.

    (4) "Parent" means legal guardian or custodian, natural parent or adoptive parent if the minor has been legally adopted.

    (5) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, if a minor is subject to the jurisdiction of the juvenile court pursuant to ORS 419B.100 or 419C.005, the domicile of that minor shall be that of the court which has jurisdiction.

    419B.552. Application for emancipation decree; effect of decree.

    (1) A juvenile court, upon the written application of a minor who is domiciled within the jurisdiction of such court, is authorized to enter a decree of emancipation in the manner provided in ORS 419B.558. A decree of emancipation shall serve only to:

    (a) Recognize the minor as an adult for the purposes of contracting and conveying, establishing a residence, suing and being sued, and recognize the minor as an adult for purposes of the criminal laws of this state.

    (b) Terminate as to the parent and child relationship the provisions of ORS 109.010 until the child reaches the age of majority.

    (c) Terminate as to the parent and child relationship the provisions of ORS 109.053, 109.100, 419B.373, 419B.400, 419B.402, 419B.404, 419B.406, 419B.408, 419C.550, 419C.590, 419C.592, 419C.595, 419C.597 and 419C.600.

    (2) A decree of emancipation shall not affect any age Nqualification for purchasing alcoholic liquor, the requirements for obtaining a marriage license, nor the minor's status under ORS 109.510.

    419B.555. Hearing; notice to parent; duty to advise minor of liabilities of emancipated person; filing fee.

    (1) The juvenile court shall conduct a preliminary hearing on the minor's application for emancipation within 10 days of the date on which it is filed or as soon as possible thereafter. At the time of the preliminary hearing, the court may issue a temporary custody decree, stay any pending proceedings or enter any other temporary order appropriate to the circumstances. No action of the court pursuant to this subsection may be extended beyond the date set for a final hearing.

    (2) The final hearing shall be held no later than 60 days or as soon as possible after the date on which the application is filed.

    (3) Notice to the parent or parents of the applicant shall be made pursuant to ORS 419B.265 (1), 419B.268 and 419B.271.

    (4) At the preliminary hearing, the court shall advise the minor of the civil and criminal rights and civil and criminal liabilities of an emancipated minor. This advice shall be recited in the decree of emancipation.

    (5) The hearing mentioned in subsection (2) of this section may be waived by the minor and parent or parents.

    (6) A uniform filing fee of $ 70 shall be charged and collected by the court for each application for emancipation. In addition, the court shall collect any other fees required by law.

    419B.558. Conditions for issuance of decree; copy to applicant; issuance of license or identification card by Department of Transportation; emancipated person subject to adult criminal jurisdiction.

    (1) The juvenile court in its discretion may enter a decree of emancipation where the minor is at least 16 years of age and the court finds that the best interests of the minor will be served by emancipation. In making its determination, the court shall take into consideration the following factors:

    (a) Whether the parent of the minor consents to the proposed emancipation;

    (b) Whether the minor has been living away from the family home and is substantially able to be self-maintained and self-supported without parental guidance and supervision; and

    (c) Whether the minor can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the court that the minor is sufficiently mature and knowledgeable to manage the minor's affairs without parental assistance.

    (2) Upon entry of a decree of emancipation by the court, the applicant shall be given a copy of the decree. The decree shall instruct that the applicant obtain an Oregon driver's license or an Oregon identification card through the Department of Transportation and that the Department of Transportation make a notation of the minor's emancipated status on the license or identification card.

    (3) An emancipated minor shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the adult courts for all criminal offenses.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Guardianship: How to Become Guardian of a 94 Year Old Father in Oregon
    By cmre3456 in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 01:50 PM
  2. Emancipation: Emancipation in Oregon
    By notsmiling0212 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
  3. Retail Fraud / Shoplifting: 17 Year Old Shoplifting in Oregon
    By Sublimaja in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
  4. Sex Offenses: Statutory Rape in Oregon - 16-year-old and 14
    By ILaLaLa in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
  5. Emancipation: Oregon Emancipation Law
    By sugrnspice623 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.