Angry Car Towed from Apartment Complex

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Virginia

I moved into my apartment on the last saturday of August. On that saturday I put the parking sticker on my car visibily on the front windshield. On Monday morning, my car had been towed and I was forced to pay $125 to get it back. Their only explanation to me was that it "wasn't their problem" and "they didn't see the sticker". I have complained to my apt. mgmt. and to the consumer protection agency and to the better business bureau. 3 Weeks ago they said they would finally send me a refund in 1-2 weeks. It has been 3 weeks and now the mgmt of this car towing place is conveniently absent everytime I call and returns none of my calls. I also warned them near the end of the 2 weeks period that if I didn't see my money soon I would be getting a lawyer. It's now into 3 weeks, still no money, and I gave them fair warning only to have it be ignored.

What kind of lawyer should I look for? A traffic lawyer? And how much should I sue this company for? I had to pay for my car, driving back and forth from the tow place, and missed a total of about a day at work.

Default Re: Car Towed from Apartment Complex

Quote Quoting jesser
    View Post
    What kind of lawyer should I look for? A traffic lawyer? And how much should I sue this company for? I had to pay for my car, driving back and forth from the tow place, and missed a total of about a day at work.
    You can file suit in small claims court and represent yourself. What you will be awarded, if you prevail, is the $125 and usually court cost and filing fees. However, even if you do win, it's still up to you to collect the judgement; the courts will not do that for you.

To start the ball off, send them a certified/return clearly stating your case (just the facts) and demand payment within 30 days. If they don't comply, state that you will be left no other alternative except to file suit.

1. Sponsored Links