Default Data Breach

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: SC
    Hello,

I am an employer in SC. My company is computer based. Employees have access to files online (even from their homes). I had to fire an employee due to non-performance and bad attitude. When she went home she accessed the system and deleted all the data that was pertaining to her position (including sales leads and information). I still haven't paid her for the work that week. What is the best approach- pay and file a police report and press charges or keep her check to cover (although it doesn't cover at all) some of the cost of losing all this data. Are there any other legal options?

Thank you.

Default Re: Data Breach

You have to pay the employee for the hours worked. Contact the authorities and issue the check.

I am an IT Manager and a certified S-OX inspector/auditor for a major automotive firm and we deal with an enormous amount of sensitive data. Lesson #1, Always remove the employees access BEFORE you let them go; on good terms or not.

Also, if I may...

You might look at SAS70 (Type I and II) , and S-OX requirements. Even if you are not mandated to document and attest to these controls, it will give you a good idea as to how to protect yourself and your data.

This may help stave off employees access to sensitive data without the proper controls in place (separation of duties, data access on a 'need-to-know' basis, audit controls, etc).

These are just my thoughts. I do not mean to imply that your security is lax or can easily be compromised.

Dear M'sta Mikey,

Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate that. I guess that's what I'll have to do. And believe me- we've learned our lesson. We are a new company; therefore, unfortunately, we are learning the hard way. I want to thank you for the sources of information. I'll make sure that we go over these to strict our data controls.

Thank you again,
    SC employer.

1. Sponsored Links