Default Can Landlord Change Gate Code and Refuse to Give New Code to Tenants?

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California
    Hello, our apartment is gated with a key or code needed for entrance. Our landlord has changed the access code to the front gate and will not give the new code to the tenants. This creates a problem with delivery from FedEx , UPS as they can not get into the building....the call box has also been disconnected.So no one from the outside can call to be let in .Some of the children have had to climb the fence to get into the complex after school. They gave us no warning they where changing the code (no time to make additional keys for children)...Some of the children can not use a key.
    My question is ...is it legal for the landlord to do this?

Default Re: Can Landlord Change Gate Code and Refuse to Give New Code to Tenants?

What does the lease say about the gate code?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Can Landlord Change Gate Code and Refuse to Give New Code to Tenants?

There is no mention of the gate code in the lease.

So basically, tenants can get in with their key cards, and they can buzz guests in when guests dial their apartments, but the landlord doesn't want tenants to be able to distribute a key code that will let anybody enter the parking lot? That sounds like a matter of security.

What sort of gate are we talking about here? A single bar that pivots up and down across a driveway, to prevent unauthorized vehicles from entering?

Tenants can get in with a key only.. We can not buzz anyone in because the front call box is broken. The landlord will not fix it ,he says he does not have the money. We can not get any deliveries from FedEx or UPS because they can not call to be let in.

The gate is the pedestrian entry gate.
    Thanks

What is a "pedestrian entry gate" and why would it affect delivery vehicles. There's no parking at all, or no gate for the entrance to the parking lot? Or does the vehicle entrance have a working call box?

Perhaps whatever government agency is responsible for the inspection of rental housing will investigate, and order this repaired. While it's possible that the landlord has distributed a pass code to the police and fire department, it seems like the broken call box could create safety issues.

Thank you,
    UPS and FedEx do not enter our parking lot to make deliveries (perhaps in other cities but not in ours). They park on the street outside walk to the call box, and are let in by the tenant they are delivering to. The gate entrance to the parking lot is a non issue as UPS and FedEX are not allowed to carry any key or card to a security gate..They have to use the call box.

1. Sponsored Links