Default New Widow: Addressing Husband's Debt

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Florida

A friend died about a week ago. I'm trying to help widow with her financial issues.

-No will, joint house ownership ($200K? hard to know in this market), $100K mortgage in her name only, ~7K in med debts in collection, ~$7K med debts not in collection yet, ~15K in installment loans (not sure what for yet), ~$6.5K in CCs.

All the debt but the mortgage is in his name only. ~$100K in life insurance planned to go to mortgage. He died after a week in the hospital.

There's a ~$5K MetLife account of unknown origin. Other than that and the house, there are no savings or other resources.

How should she approach the debts? How much of a claim do they have over the estate (the house)? Does contacting them about a settlement constitute activity that will extend the time that it will show up on credit reports? Can she just not contact and not pay them?

Will the (very long) list of collection accounts move over to her credit report?

Is there a different Statute of Limitations for medical debts?

Sorry if this is a laundry list. Are there anymore issue I didn't think about?

Thanks,

The Widows Helper

Default Re: New Widow: Addressing Husband's Debt

Florida has some unusual homestead laws and I don't think any FL attorneys follow this board. Best thing to do is to go down to the probate court and get the information. Don't pay off the mortgage with the life insurance just yet. You need to find out what you need to do to get it entirely in her name first.

1. Sponsored Links