Hybrid View

Default Mother Left Them 10 Months Ago, How to Emancipate Because of This

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Missouri

2 neighborhood boys came into my life thru my daughter 2 1/2 years ago.
    One is 18, the other is 16 now. They lived with their mother and a 26 year old brother in a house that their uncle owns. The uncle pays all the bills for them and brings them food. The mother left them in Dec. to live in a one bedroom apartment. (She has some mental problems that she would never admit too.) The 16 year old still has to have some contact with his mother because she is the person who takes him to the doctor and such. How does he either emancipate himself or transfer his legal guardianship over to his brothers. She causes more problems than not and yet she doesn't pay for his upkeep, take care of him or anything. This young man was also home schooled his whole life and with her leaving it has left him with not having a teacher and afraid of public schools. He really needs help getting his guardianship changed over or whatever. Can anyone give us advice please?

Default Re: Mother Left Them 10 Months Ago, How to Emancipate Because of This

The 18 year old is already legally emancipated. Can the 16 year old support himself entirely? If not, he is not eligible for it.

Emancipation means more than removing him from his mother's custody. It means a judge declaring him self-sufficient.

A change of guardianship is legally possible. His brother (the 26 year old one, not the 18 year old one) would have to go to the court and apply for guardianship.

1. Sponsored Links