Default How to Expunge A Misdemeanor Conviction In Arizona

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Arizona
    My 19. yr. old dgtr. was given a ticket and now has a misdemeanor for minor possession when she tested a .014 for alcohol. She's never been in trouble before and is a college student studying Education. We're angry/upset as she is with herself over her decision to do something so insane. The ? is what or is there anything we can do @ this point to ever expunge her record in the future? Her hearing was before a Justice of the Peace in N. Mesa who gives tough sentences(understandably)and has never allowed a record to be expunged so we're told by our legal counsel. He gives us no hope. I'm probably grasping for straws here but thought I'd give it a shot. Does anyone have any suggestions? She feels horrible for what she's done and I think(hope)she's learned a very painful lesson thru all this which we're grateful for. Would appreciate any advice/info. you could give us.
    Thx in advance.....
    EmptyNest4

Default Re: Expunge A Misdemeanor Conviction In AZ?

Arizona does not have a provision for expungement of any crimes; they remain on an individuals record until they reach the age of 99. She may, however, apply to have the judgement set aside

Setting Aside Judgment of Guilt ARS 13-907

When a court order setting aside a judgment of guilt is received, wording is added to the criminal record to show that judegment of guilt was set aside and the date of the court order.

If civil rights have been restored on the same court order (in addition to setting aside judgment of guilt), wording is added to the criminal record to show civil rights were restored and the date of the court order.
    However, this will show up on a background check, which may hinder her chances of employment in certain sectors

Try http://www.azdps.gov/reports/crimina...courtorder.asp for more information.

Default Re: Expunge A Misdemeanor Conviction In Arizona

Thanks M'sta Mikey,

I was afraid there wasn't much she could do. Just wanted to check and double check.

I appreciate your time and advice as well as your prompt response. Thank-you again!

EmptyNest4

Default Re: Expunge A Misdemeanor Conviction In Arizona

My pleasure. Wish the news was better.

1. Sponsored Links