Default Do I Have to Go to Doctor Appointments on My Day Off?

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of: Iowa

I have torn my ACL at work, and I got a message yesterday evening from the WC company that I had to go to an ortho appt. the next day at 3:30. The appt is 90 minutes from my home. Due to the short notice, I do not have childcare for my kids that late in the day (I won't be getting home until at least 6pm). It also happens to be my day off, so I don't have any childcare scheduled.

Am I required to go to appointments on my day off? What is considered a reasonable amount of time to be notified of any scheduled appointments? Should I be paid mileage to go that far away--when there is a Dr right here in the town I live in? thanks,

Default Re: Do I Have to Go to Dr Appt's on My Day Off?

Am I required to go to appointments on my day off?
    Why would you think that it being your day off would make a difference? You go to your appointments when they're scheduled, just like everyone else does.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Do I Have to Go to Dr Appt's on My Day Off?

There's a lengthy FAQ here.
    Quote Quoting Who chooses the Medical Care?
    The employer provides medical care reasonably suited to treat the employee’s injury, and has the right to choose the medical care. If the employee is dissatisfied with the care offered, the employee should discuss the problem with the employer or insurance carrier. In certain situations the employee may wish to request alternate care. If the employer, or insurance carrier, does not allow alternate care, the employee (through appropriate proceedings) may apply to the workers' compensation commissioner for alternate medical care. (85.27)

If the employer-retained physician gives a rating of permanent impairment, which the employee feels is too low, the employee does have a right to another examination by a doctor of the employee’s choice at the employer’s expense. (85.39)
    Quote Quoting Medical Benefits
    The law provides for the payment of all reasonable and necessary medical care incurred to treat the injury. This includes reasonably necessary transportation expenses. Mileage for use of a private auto is reimbursed at a rate set by the state of Iowa, currently at 58.5 cents per mile. (85.27)

Under certain circumstances an employee who has to leave work for medical treatment may be eligible for payment of lost wages. (85.27)

While a contested case proceeding or a dispute on reasonableness of a fee is pending, the medical care provider cannot seek payment of its charges from the employee. (85.27)

1. Sponsored Links