Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wink Re: Can't Get a Job Because of Previous Unfounded Suspension

I have to live with authority every day. There are laws in place to protect me and others around me, laws that protect my possessions and safety. Laws that protect rights, ideas, money, and anything else that may need to be protected. And I agree with them. I live by the laws and as I have explained, I take responsibility for the things I do wrong - one ticket for having almost all my tail lights out (oops... I forgot I even had a 3rd brake light), and one ticket for cutting off a motorcop doing a U-turn in a hurry. Both were taken care of - I even had to go down to the traffic court 3 times for the brakelight ticket because I tried taking care of it too early. I had to put off the U-turn (unsafe turn) one until about a week before it was due, because I simply didn't have the money to pay it. When I did, I paid it, and opted to take traffic school for it as well.

However, this whole suspension situation cannot humanly be confused for a proper execution of justice. Nobody in their right mind could say, with a straight face, given all the facts, that this is just. If you look at it on paper, it looks like I shuffled off a ticket for running over an old lady, and after countless collection calls and letters, I got my license suspended. It doesn't imply that the ticket was for riding a scooter without a helmet. It doesn't imply that I was never given the information I needed. It doesn't tell anyone anything about the situation. So anyone that looks at it, sees some irresponsible prick for a driver. That's why I can't get a job. Because insurance companies, the slimeball shit that businesses choose for their liability purposes, now look at me as an irresponsible driver, for an occurrence on my record that occurred before I even began driving.

That is not justice.

I'm not even looking for advice here anymore; obviously there is none to be had here. I will never forget the lesson that this taught me: not that I should pay my tickets on time (that's a secondary lesson though), but rather that everyone should be deathly afraid of the traffic court and DMV, and that American justice is severely flawed in ways I never would have expected... exemplified by the idea that there are somehow people in the world that honestly believe that the "justice" served to me for what I did could be considered "justice".

Meanwhile, I'm changing focus in my life thanks to this. Instead of pursuing yet another worthless minimum wage job and pissing away my skills, I'm going after enrolling in college; something that doesn't require driving for a company with barbaric insurance regulations. You think I should take up a course in the legal system?
    (Oh, and yeah, I'm 22 and I got C's and D's in high school. Can't you tell by my writing?)

Default Re: Can't Get a Job Because of Previous Unfounded Suspension

You don't get to choose which laws you obey.

It doesn't work that way.

Good luck in college.

Quote Quoting pmc the 1st
    View Post
    I don't believe FalconFour has an aversion to authority. I believe he is just now developing one due to experiencing this very flagrant miscarriage of justice, but I don't believe he has one now.
    By the way, the definition of a miscarriage of justice is when the law is different for different people based on a factor outside the crime committed.

In this case, everyone whom ignores a minor traffic ticket will, eventually, have their license suspended until they take care of it.

If it happens to everyone, then it is not a miscarriage of justice.

Lastly, really think about this. If the DMV couldn't suspend your driving priviledges if you ignore traffic tickets, why would anyone ever pay them? That ability gives our traffic laws their teeth.

For instance, would the OP have ever taken care of this without it? What bothers friend Falcon is that he just realized that someone IS the boss of him... and he has to do what they say.

That is toughest on young adults.... you get used to being your own boss that you forget that you still have rules.

Oh well.

Falcon,

I think it is wonderful that you have decided to pursue higher education! I am an older student and would highly recommend doing it sooner rather than later. (although I am enjoying the legal classes I am taking immensely.)

It's quite possible you have a very high IQ AND did not do well in high school. Happens all the time. (don't ask me how I know THAT one!)

And yes, you are being punished for being irresponsible. You blew off a ticket that you did not have the money to pay. You forget about it, and eventually paid for it. I have had to learn that lesson over and over in my own life, which is why I (and the others here who may have experienced similar situations) we tried to help you learn it the "easy" way, rather than the hard way.

Let us know which courses you decide to take, and how you're doing.

Good luck!

Quote Quoting mmmagique
    View Post
    Falcon,

And yes, you are being punished for being irresponsible. You blew off a ticket that you did not have the money to pay. You forget about it, and eventually paid for it.
    FalconFour, before you go, remember the lapse in judgment this individual is preying. Remember the fact that him and the law are telling you that the riding of an 8-MPH scooter without a helmet is sanguine and safe for the state legislature to send your license into suspension and your person to court collections to finalize the payment of $500.
    And you still have the offense--not not wearing a helmet--the offense of assuming that riding an electric scooter without a helmet would result in an equal punishment such as the Judge reading you the dangers of riding a scooter without a helmet--of dealing with a suspended driving privilege, a fine nearing $1,000 and very little chance of you ever finding work that involves driving...
    ...All because the state legislature says that those kids who drive a scooter without a helmet are dangerous, heinous criminals unworthy and undeserving of having a privilege to drive an actual motor vehicle...

Years from now, do not view your situation now of that of the young punk, too irresponsible to take care of a well-deserved citation that had to be paid off with all speed; rather, view your current situation as that of a young person in the unfortunate and unlucky situation of getting a mere glimpse into the judicial system that is designed for the sole purpose of procuring money at the taxpaying citizens expense. After all, when you are through with this, you will have spent around $500 and have a permanent stain on your driving record that no lawyer can erase.

And it's all because you rode your 100-watt electric scooter outside the confines of your driveway without a helmet.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    By the way, the definition of a miscarriage of justice is when the law is different for different people based on a factor outside the crime committed.

In this case, everyone whom ignores a minor traffic ticket will, eventually, have their license suspended until they take care of it.

If it happens to everyone, then it is not a miscarriage of justice.

Lastly, really think about this. If the DMV couldn't suspend your driving priviledges if you ignore traffic tickets, why would anyone ever pay them? That ability gives our traffic laws their teeth.

For instance, would the OP have ever taken care of this without it? What bothers friend Falcon is that he just realized that someone IS the boss of him... and he has to do what they say.

That is toughest on young adults.... you get used to being your own boss that you forget that you still have rules.

Oh well.
    You would be very well-suited for a position in the KGB. Or, the Chinese Red Army, as a lower-ranking officer.

You have no business in the United States.

Quote Quoting pmc the 1st
    View Post
    You would be very well-suited for a position in the KGB. Or, the Chinese Red Army, as a lower-ranking officer.

You have no business in the United States.
    QFT.

it says i need to put in 10 characters... huff

That's not what it means in the forums I go to...

Pm, the first sentence in your response to me is unintelligible, and the rest of it rhetorical malarky.

Oh, and this "guy" is very much a female, thanks.

Quote Quoting FalconFour
    View Post
    QFT.

it says i need to put in 10 characters... huff
    Please note that your partner in reason is now banned from this site.

Time to cowboy up, accept your responsibilities, and move on.

Geez, stop being a baby about this and pay your fine.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Geez, stop being a baby about this and pay your fine.
    You are very, very bad at reasoning. I already mentioned several times that the suspension is taken care of as far as the extent humanly possible. There is nothing further I can pay or bribe to resolve the suspension being on my record in the past (which is what I can't get a job for). My license is valid and in good standing. I paid the scooter fines as soon as I actually knew about it. Is that seriously what you believed? That I'm pissed that they suspended my license over the scooter ticket and I still didn't want to pay?

English, man... read the whole post, digest the whole post, then shoot your keyboard off like you're the king of the world. Is that so hard to follow that sequence?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast