Default Child Endangerment

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: CA

I have a co-worker who had the police called on her the other night for an argument she and her husband were having. When the police showed up the husband mentioned methamphetamines so the police asked if there was anything in the home. My co-worker said a smashed pipe.

To make a long story short the police ended up asking her to become a C.I. or they would arrest her and her husband for child endagerment and put her children in the system, ages 14 & 12.

She has no prior record and there is no previous C.P.S. matters.

Without all the accusations of being a bad person for using, etc. etc. She is worried about her family if she becomes a snitch.

Can the police do this to her children without any actual proof or come back on her for something else?

Please only advise on this if you know what youare talking about. She don't need any sarcasm or ridicule. She got enough of that from me.

Default Re: Child Endangerment

Basically you don't ever want to call the police involving a domestic dispute unless you are genuinely worried about being hurt or killed. The cops are always tense and people say stupid things, like telling on his wife, and then he'll have to pay for her lawyers and her fines. And like you say this is an area where a lot of kids end up the victims. I've seen cops walk into a house and look through the refrigerator for milk, no milk? CPS would be there the next day.

The CPS are the most powerful policing agency in America. In most/many states they need no warrant, no court order they can come and take anyones kids and there is nothing you can do to stop them. It's an average of 18 months to get your kids back. These are not people one should take lightly.

Okay, now that the rant is over.

Your friend has two choices. Be a CI or decline. Both have risks and punishments.

Your friend must choose. There is no third option for "don't go to prison and don't be a CI".

Not to mention that police have no say over what CPS does. Police might decide not to take the initiative and make an arrest for neglect, but that in no way, shape, or form, means that CPS cannot act independently of the police if they should get a whif of circumstances via some source OTHER than police and decide that removal is in the best interest of the child(ren) concerned. Promises or deals made or offered by police are NOT binding on other entities, such as CPS, or even the State Attorney/DA.

Quote Quoting kist
    View Post

The CPS are the most powerful policing agency in America. In most/many states they need no warrant, no court order they can come and take anyones kids and there is nothing you can do to stop them. It's an average of 18 months to get your kids back. These are not people one should take lightly.
    CPS is not a "policing agency." At least in WA, children can only be removed by CPS pursuant to a court authorized pick up order. However, law enforcement can remove children without such an order if there is risk of imminent harm.

1. Sponsored Links