Default Questionable Police Shooting

involved state: California

I just saw this video and linked timeline of this. Am I seeing something the jury didn't see or did they see something I didn't? I do not see the guy making any aggressive movements and he was following an order by the officer.

I see the guy putting both hands on the ground and then as he gets up, I do lose his hands but I see no extreme motion that would suggest that the reached into his jacket as the officer testified.
    It is also stated the officer was alone. Is it statndard to radio in "shots fired, shots fired" in such a manner as to sound like a suspect or other was firing the shots? The only shots fired were from the officer. If one would not ordinarily radio in shots fired when the officer fires, it would appear to be some sort or extreme mistake, at least, or an attempt to make a justification for firing on the suspect, at worst.

Obviously a bad situation for all but, if you care to comment, what happened?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8d37d1e8c4

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_6257540

Default Re: Cdwjava, Have You Seen This?

Yes, I have seen it, and I believe the jury came to the correct conclusion given what I know of the investigation and what was presented to the jury. I do NOT believe I would have handled the situation the same way, and i HAVE been in his boots before ... but, that kind of hindsight is meaningless because I was NOT in his boots.

Unfortunately I cannot comment much further on why I concur with the verdict for reasons best left unstated at this time (I know parties involved in the investigation). However, I CAN say that I was convinced of the deputy's guilt for a very long time as this video came out only a couple days after the shooting as I recall. And, like many others, I thought it was pretty telling ... though, it was what we could not see on the vehicle that seemed to make the difference.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I'll take your word for it then.

Would you mind addressing the "shots fired" radio call? The expression in the officers voice would be understandable if the officer had been fired upon but with the officer doing the shooting, is it normal and typical to make a radio call of "shots fired" when an officer is the one who has fired the shots?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Well, it doesn't make me right, it just means that with the info I have I believe the jury came to the correct decision ... not having been there, I honestly don't know - but it does look bad.

Would you mind addressing the "shots fired" radio call? The expression in the officers voice would be understandable if the officer had been fired upon but with the officer doing the shooting, is it normal and typical to make a radio call of "shots fired" when an officer is the one who has fired the shots?
    When ANY shots are fired, you will here an officer announce "shots fired".

To be honest, I can't recall what I have said when I have been shot at ... since I was never in a position to safely return fire (darn those pseudo innocents in the background!), I can only speak to being on the receiving end.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

In situations of extreme stress, say a shooting, training takes over and much of what immediately follows is a product of that. Despite who was shooting, a shooting is an extremely stressful situation - even when you don't hit anything.

I can assure you that "shots fired" is rather standardly taught. For several reasons . . . notably among them is it isn't relevant who was doing the shooting to the rest of us on the other end of the radio. What is relevant is that an officer is involved in something and the rest of us need to get there. Now. I can think of no other call coming across my handy radio which would so forceful grab my attention and command my presence as a shots fired call.

The rest of it, as is always the case, can be sorted out later. That is, of course, one function of the police. But the greater issue with which cops must contend is that pesky safeguarding the lives of the public thing. The chips will eventually fall where they may, but the primary focus is the saving of a life - good guys and bad guys alike.

1. Sponsored Links