Default Want a Divorce but Can't Afford One

My question involves divorce in the State of: Connecticut

I would like to get a divorce after 3 yrs of marriage due to my husbands drinking problem. I own the house. There are no assets to split and no children involved. Can I get a divorce without paying high costs to get an lawyer? I don't have much money and can't afford a lawyer or at least one that will cost too much money. If I call a lawyer, will they direct me where to go?

If I go through a mediator, will that be sufficient enough? I don't know which direction to go in.

Thanks

Default Re: Want a Divorce but Can't Afford One

Even though you own the home, if you live in a community-property state, he could possibly own 50% of it which could 'muddy the waters' a little.

You can start by contacting your local or state bar association for referrals to low fee or pro-bono (no fee) representation. Also, here is a good resource for information http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/divorce.htm

Best wishes!

A few things...is the husband a willing participant? If so, it can be done with very little money spent and can be a do-it yourself thing but I don't recommend it.

Conn is a equitable distrubition state. This site outlines the laws and should be of help, good luck!

http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/u...a/conn_law.htm

He is non confrontational and will not fight it if that is what I want. He wants nothing from me nor do I want anything from him. There will be nothing to split

panther10758 Guest

Not sure about your state but many states have programs for low income where fees are waived. Contact court and ask

He is only able to get a part of the equity in the home if community funds were used to make the payments (provided it is your sole and separate property.) If he is cooperative have him sign a disclaimer deed. Many Superior courthouses have 'do it yourself' divorce packets for free and they will waive the filing fee. Best advise it to see what is available in your area.

1. Sponsored Links