Default Is It a Landlord's Responsibility to Call Cops

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington state

Hi,

My rent check was stolen from the landlords locked office, it took a few days for them to admit it was stolen and others had checks forged, not just "lost" as they said at first. So i cancelled my account, called the cops, ect.

However I dont think the apartment managment ever called the cops, the fixed the broken drop slot, and cleaned up..Are they liable for any credit check serviec i need and any future identity theft costs?

Are they neglagent legally for not calling the cops and cleaning up the crime scene?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is It Landlord's Responsibility to Call Cops

What makes you so sure they didn't speak with the police?

No, they aren't responsible for paying for any type of credit monitoring service, any more than a grocery store suffering the same mishap would be.

Unless you were careless and had too much information printed on your checks - like your drivers license number or SSN - there's not much the thief can do with your check except try to cash it anyway.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

i talked to an employee, and the officer i talked too also said there was no report from anyone except another tennant. He thought it was strange no case number for the complex.

The reason i am worried about my ss i dont know if they lock things up or our credit checks are accesable.

so far the thief did use a computer to create checks on another tennants account according to the apt manager.

so far the thief did use a computer to create checks on another tennants account according to the apt manager
    One hopes the other tenant has the presence of mind to cancel his account, as you did.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Is It a Landlord's Responsibility to Call Cops

so i found out for sure they did not call cops...they said it was only a few stolen checks, so can I bill them for time lost and hours spent fixing the problem due to thier neglect?

can you prove negligence? or are they crime victims?

not sure, the basket was connected to the mail slot so supposadly the thief reached in the slot and pulled them out, though i though mine had fallen to the floor. they also did not tell me it was stolen right away, first the said they never got it or they shredded it accidently on Sat, then they told me on monday a few others were taken, then on tues after asking them if anyone had check fraud because of this they then said the thief forged new checks with computer help. at that point my bank said stop payment is not enough and to transfer everthing into savings until new account starts.

Oh, the removed the basket and cleaned up the crime scene without consulting police, nor is there proof its was not taken from inside.

The officer i spoke too could not belive they would not report it, and said they must have and to get a case number to connect mine too.

1. Sponsored Links